"Chipping Campden - The best in the Cotswolds?" Top 5 Page for this destination Chipping Campden by iandsmith

Chipping Campden Travel Guide: 54 reviews and 136 photos

More than just a Hick town

Inasmuch as it's possible to fall in love with an inanimate object, I fell in love with this house. In all of Great Britain this was my favourite and yet, in Chipping Campden, there are more of its ilk.
Chipping Campden has an air of riches about it, borne of its past and carried onwards to the future. For some reason it doesn't seem to have hit the tourist trail like other towns and that has its pluses and minuses. One thing that is more striking than any other that I visited in the Cotswolds is the architecture and that's saying something.
The name Campden or Camperdene is believed to be a Saxon name meaning valley with fields, a written reference to Campden in the Domesday Book (1085) records that before the Norman conquest the manor of Camperdene had been held by King Harold.
By the early 13th century, the market area was being called 'Cepynge Caumpedene' (or 'Market Campden'). The word Chipping means market.
The only flaw I could find with the place was that it didn't have a stream flowing down beside the main street, something I found attractive at certain other Cotswold villages.
As you read my pages you will also become aware of just how important one man and his family were to the area. That man was Baptist Hicks.

• Pros:Stunning thatched cottages, lovely main street, history
  • In a nutshell:Lived up to expectations, I'd go back again
  • Last visit to Chipping Campden: Oct 2005
  • Intro Updated Dec 24, 2005

• leffe3's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2010 at 11:46 PM

It's been 20 years since I was here - but plan to be there in September.

• christine.j's Profile Photo
    Dec 21, 2008 at 7:52 AM

The Cotswolds are one of England's most beautiful regions. I really enjoyed reading your page.

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Dec 11, 2007 at 9:30 PM

Haha, Ian, how well do I know this "can't go past anything" mode :-)) I think, my friends will have headaches if they dirve me through the Cotswolds one day... I would scream for a stop every few seconds :-)

• starship's Profile Photo
    Jun 26, 2007 at 6:29 PM

It is beautiful villages such as these which make me love the English countryside so much! I love thatched-roof cottages--I can never see enough of them. Lovely pages and photos.

• Spincat's Profile Photo
    Nov 15, 2006 at 10:15 PM

English horse-riders basically rude grumpy bastards (and i speak as a horse lover!)

• pigletsmom's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2006 at 1:37 PM

I had never heard of Chipping Campden until I saw you page. Wow, so beautiful. I have to go there. Thanks for sharing your wonderful images.

• vichatherly's Profile Photo
    Jul 21, 2006 at 5:15 AM

Excellent photos and great tips. I'll have to build my page soon.

• sim1's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2006 at 11:18 AM

What a wonderful place! I just love those thatched houses! If I ever visit this area, I have to stop by in this wonderful village!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2006 at 5:14 PM

Fabulous photos Ian!! You were in great form here with those honey-coloured stone buildings as backdrops. Your thatched roof shots are amazing! This was one of my favourite little villages too.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 22, 2006 at 12:53 AM

Well, Ian, I can see that missing these pages was not wise...the thatch-roofed house, the lovely flowers, the quaint church, your stunning photos and usual wit combine to make a delightful read and view.

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Badges & Stats in Chipping Campden

Have you been to Chipping Campden?

Latest Activity in Chipping Campden