"Pitlochry and the tourist dollar, or pound, or yen" Pitlochry by iandsmith
Pitlochry Travel Guide: 98 reviews and 219 photos
Queen Victoria's influence in opening up this area to tourism can never be underestimated. A few words from her after her stay at the nearby Blair Castle in 1842 and the travellers came running but it wouldn't have been possible unless General Wade put one of his military routes through the village in the early 1700s.
The railway's arrival in 1863 set the place up to even more tourists. These days it is easy to underestimate just how important it was in those days to have a rail link.
One of the most attractive features of Pitlochry is that it is surrounded by mountains. They may not be amongst Scotland's highest, but include Pitlochry's own Ben Vrackie, at 841m or 2759ft, which is obvious in many views to the north east from the town. It is usually climbed from Moulin, a north eastern, uphill outlier of Pitlochry. Less obvious is that beyond Ben Vrackie lies the Cairngorm massif, one of the largest and remotest, though not quite the highest, of Scotland's mountain ranges.
Even if you're not into shopping or climbing, there's a great deal to see and do in Pitlochry. The cultural highlight is the Pitlochry Festival Theatre, just across the River Tummel and accessible for pedestrians by means of an interesting suspension bridge. The theatre is famed for allowing visitors to see as up to eight different plays in a week: though however much you love the theatre that might just constitute an overdose.
- Pros:Easily accessible, good base to see many attractions
- In a nutshell:Worth spending more time than you might think
Pitlochry is surrounded by mountains. As for height, they may not rate on a world scale, but include Pitlochry's own Ben... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Pitlochry Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "It couldn't possibly get better than this!"
- "A short stop in Pitlochry"
- "just passing through..."
- "The heart of the Highlands"
- "Pitlochry and the tourist dollar, or pound, or yen"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pitlochry
- Hotels in Pitlochry
- Transportation in Pitlochry
- Nightlife in Pitlochry
- Restaurants in Pitlochry
- Shopping in Pitlochry
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pitlochry
- 3 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (275)
Have you been to Pitlochry?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pitlochry
Photos in PitlochrySee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 226 reviews, 557 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 136 reviews, 485 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 152 reviews, 383 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 254 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 76 reviews, 191 photos