"Well, well, well, Wells" Top 5 Page for this destination Wells by iandsmith

Wells Travel Guide: 94 reviews and 316 photos

Exercise while you take in the view

After the cathedral itself, undoubtedly one of the highlights of Wells is the walk around the moat which I wholly recommend you extend by then going down Tor Street and St. Andrews Street. This gives you a much better insight into the lay of old area and how things bear relation to one another.

The inside story

There are so many wonders inside you should plan a couple of hours and, ideally, take the guided tour so you can enjoy much more than is immediately apparent.
They have one quirk that I came across at one or two other places. In order to take photos you have to buy a photography permit at a cost of two pounds. Needless to say I availed myself of the opporturnity.

The inner circle

One thing I remember about Prague, apart from the wonderful historical centre and hordes of tourists, is how awful it was outside of where the tourists venture.
I was momentarily reminded of that whilst meandering through the urban maze of England's smallest city, Wells, in search of a way towards that dominant cathedral.
Wells - the City of Many Streams; the Wellys or Ad Fontes of our forefathers. Described elsewhere as the English Bruges, a description by someone with an obviously vivid imagination, where a moat still encircles the Bishop's Palace and, nearly everything which meets the eye around the cathedral savours of an order of things which vanished at the Reformation. The tone of Wells is, and always has been, essentially theological.
Try as I may I kept winding up on one way streets heading in the wrong direction until, like so many other historical towns, I ended up parking a considerable distance away (at a price) and then hoofing it to where I really wanted to be. Local councils are only too well aware of their attractions and how to squeeze every last penny from the long suffering tourist. I can't complain too loudly because I don't have a solution unless they turn the cathedral's lovely lawn into a multi-storey carpark. Mmm, perhaps not!
Having gotten that off my chest the mediaeval centre is well worth the trip, if only to view the stunning array of plants that hang outside the office of the National Trust.

• Pros:Cathedral, old centre and walks around same.
  • Cons:Tricky to get to the centre
  • In a nutshell:Worth a stop if you're in the area
  • Last visit to Wells: Mar 2008
  • Intro Updated Jul 24, 2008

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2008 at 2:34 PM

Well Wells - always a parking problem - one of our offspring was a chorister in the Cathedral and a boarder in the School. Last rooms were in Vicars Row... Thanks for sharing.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2008 at 4:29 AM

You've outdone yourself, Ian! Your keen insights astound me. [Articulate descriptions, compelling photographs, and curious chronicles.] The Cathedral Church, Bishops Palace, stained glass "tale", Black Dog of Wells are only a few of your memorable tips.

• MAIGO's Profile Photo
    Jun 24, 2007 at 6:16 AM

Hi!well,well,well.... I so enjoyed your detailed commetary and wonderful photographs. Thanks.

• diocletianvs's Profile Photo
    Feb 1, 2007 at 11:10 AM

Miraculously looking cathedral. Great shots and descriptions of details.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Oct 14, 2006 at 7:59 PM

I rember the Swan well - Wells was a favourite place of ours when we lived in England, though the cathedral had competition from the great food at the Priddy Arms as the main attraction. leyle

• Kate-Me's Profile Photo
    Mar 19, 2006 at 7:33 PM

Brilliant page, you've made the history come alive. Greetings from Kate

• Sjalen's Profile Photo
    Feb 3, 2006 at 1:52 AM

Inspiring page! I hope to get to Wells in a few weeks :)

• scottishvisitor's Profile Photo
    Nov 26, 2005 at 3:04 PM

What a lovely Cathedral Glad you had a good time in the UK

• globetrott's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2005 at 1:07 PM

What an interesting cathedral with great architecture !!

• morgenhund's Profile Photo
    Nov 24, 2005 at 4:29 AM

Not been to Wells for a while now - used to go a lot when I lived in Taunton. Good tips! Mike PS Been back again!

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Badges & Stats in Wells