"Well, well, well, Wells" Top 5 Page for this destination Wells by iandsmith
Wells Travel Guide: 94 reviews and 316 photos
After the cathedral itself, undoubtedly one of the highlights of Wells is the walk around the moat which I wholly recommend you extend by then going down Tor Street and St. Andrews Street. This gives you a much better insight into the lay of old area and how things bear relation to one another.
There are so many wonders inside you should plan a couple of hours and, ideally, take the guided tour so you can enjoy much more than is immediately apparent.
They have one quirk that I came across at one or two other places. In order to take photos you have to buy a photography permit at a cost of two pounds. Needless to say I availed myself of the opporturnity.
One thing I remember about Prague, apart from the wonderful historical centre and hordes of tourists, is how awful it was outside of where the tourists venture.
I was momentarily reminded of that whilst meandering through the urban maze of England's smallest city, Wells, in search of a way towards that dominant cathedral.
Wells - the City of Many Streams; the Wellys or Ad Fontes of our forefathers. Described elsewhere as the English Bruges, a description by someone with an obviously vivid imagination, where a moat still encircles the Bishop's Palace and, nearly everything which meets the eye around the cathedral savours of an order of things which vanished at the Reformation. The tone of Wells is, and always has been, essentially theological.
Try as I may I kept winding up on one way streets heading in the wrong direction until, like so many other historical towns, I ended up parking a considerable distance away (at a price) and then hoofing it to where I really wanted to be. Local councils are only too well aware of their attractions and how to squeeze every last penny from the long suffering tourist. I can't complain too loudly because I don't have a solution unless they turn the cathedral's lovely lawn into a multi-storey carpark. Mmm, perhaps not!
Having gotten that off my chest the mediaeval centre is well worth the trip, if only to view the stunning array of plants that hang outside the office of the National Trust.
- Pros:Cathedral, old centre and walks around same.
- Cons:Tricky to get to the centre
- In a nutshell:Worth a stop if you're in the area
These wonderfully colourful tapestries denote where one shall be seated. One of stature that is. Needless to say, I... more travel advice
These pictures show the "ordinary" stained glass windows of the cathedral. The second shot shows you a close up and... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Wells Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Well, well, well, Wells"
- "Tiny, ancient city....."
- "Beautiful Wells - England's smallest city."
- "Wells - England's smallest city"
- "England's smallest city"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Wells
- Hotels in Wells
- Transportation in Wells
- Restaurants in Wells
- Shopping in Wells
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Wells
- 21 Reviews
- 36 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (92)
Have you been to Wells?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Wells
Photos in WellsSee All Photos (36)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 220 reviews, 527 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 140 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 151 reviews, 296 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 167 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 73 reviews, 183 photos