"Worth(y) Matravers" Worth Matravers by iandsmith

Worth Matravers Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 45 photos

More than a diversion

"Have you been to my village?"
"What village?"
"Worth Matravers."
"Never heard of it, what's to see?"
"Oh, it's lovely. There's a duck pond and a smugglers hotel."
Now, call me stupid, but a duck pond has never been a key attraction in my view. You're getting pretty desperate when that's a highlight of your local place of residence. A smugglers' hotel might light a bit of a candle but compared to other nearby attractions it didn't really rate.
However, being a sucker for small villages and entranced by her enthusiasm we decided to make the effort.........and how pleased we were.
"She" was a girl who worked part time at our accommodation at Kingston, just two miles down the road and the aforementioned conversation took place whilst she was serving us breakfast.

A delight for the eye

The population is just over 600 and the village owes its existence to the rock that surrounds it and the mines that unearthed that rock.
For centuries Worth Matravers was one of the main centres for the quarrying of Purbeck marble and surface workings of the old quarries can be seen in the hills around the village. The dark grey marble supports the tower and spire of Salisbury Cathedral.

• Pros:Easy to get around; very clean, well preserved, dare I say "ducks".
  • Cons:There's no train service
  • In a nutshell:An enchanting village I would happily revisit
  • Last visit to Worth Matravers: Oct 2005
  • Intro Updated Jan 2, 2006

• Apr 25, 2010 at 3:02 AM

quiet after sundown as we do all go to bed after that!

• Sjalen's Profile Photo
    May 8, 2008 at 2:09 PM

I cannot thank you enough for opening my eyes to this village!!! The pub was open!!! :D

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Apr 10, 2007 at 9:22 AM

Directions please - this is definitely one for my next visit to England. leyle

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jan 20, 2006 at 4:15 AM

what a charming place

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2006 at 4:41 PM

You steered me right, Ian. This is one pub I'd love to have some cheese & ale in, or cider for that matter. Cheers.

• cazz38's Profile Photo
    Jan 2, 2006 at 3:32 PM

Iv'e checked it out Ian and your right it does put a smile on your face.What a beautiful place.

• evaanna's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2005 at 12:22 PM

What a gorgeous place and your photos do it credit. Aren't English villages lovely?

• planxty's Profile Photo
    Dec 4, 2005 at 7:57 PM

Good call on the Square and Compasses. I've visited a few pubs in the UK (indeed, all over the world) and, if really pushed, I'd probably have to say this is my favourite. Great pages all round. fergy.

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Badges & Stats in Worth Matravers

Have you been to Worth Matravers?

Latest Activity in Worth Matravers