"Worth(y) Matravers" Worth Matravers by iandsmith
Worth Matravers Travel Guide: 15 reviews and 45 photos
"Have you been to my village?"
"Never heard of it, what's to see?"
"Oh, it's lovely. There's a duck pond and a smugglers hotel."
Now, call me stupid, but a duck pond has never been a key attraction in my view. You're getting pretty desperate when that's a highlight of your local place of residence. A smugglers' hotel might light a bit of a candle but compared to other nearby attractions it didn't really rate.
However, being a sucker for small villages and entranced by her enthusiasm we decided to make the effort.........and how pleased we were.
"She" was a girl who worked part time at our accommodation at Kingston, just two miles down the road and the aforementioned conversation took place whilst she was serving us breakfast.
The population is just over 600 and the village owes its existence to the rock that surrounds it and the mines that unearthed that rock.
For centuries Worth Matravers was one of the main centres for the quarrying of Purbeck marble and surface workings of the old quarries can be seen in the hills around the village. The dark grey marble supports the tower and spire of Salisbury Cathedral.
- Pros:Easy to get around; very clean, well preserved, dare I say "ducks".
- Cons:There's no train service
- In a nutshell:An enchanting village I would happily revisit
We had fun ogling the different types of vegetable matter there and looking around in general but there's more inside,... more travel advice
Then there was the church. Yet another that reeked of mediaeval history and had a graveyard to boot. It's called St... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Worth Matravers Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Worth Matravers
- 10 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Worth Matravers?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Worth Matravers
Photos in Worth MatraversSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 225 reviews, 552 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 150 reviews, 380 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 76 reviews, 191 photos