"York - a standout amongst the pretenders" York by iandsmith
York Travel Guide: 1,770 reviews and 4,453 photos
This building, back of the Merchant's Hall, best illustrates the tortured history of York. You can clearly see the rebuilding using older materials and how time, via subsidance and other means, has managed to put everything at odds with one another.
It's also a good example of the Tudor style architecture that you'll come across, particularly in places like York's most famous thoroughfare, the Shambles.
This rich mixture of architectural delights runs right throughout the town, whether from the vastness of the Minster to the quaint Holy Trinity, or the vestiges of the Romans to the modern shopping centres on the outskirts, York is a place that will constantly surprise.
- Pros:Wonderful heritage, good shopping, nice location oh, and I think there's a church somewhere
- In a nutshell:A must-see stop if you're up north
You can tell by the tortured lines of the exterior that this street is either (a) very old or (b) built by a now-defunct... more travel advice
Don't even think of going to Fountains without also viewing Studley Royal Water Gardens. You may as well since it's... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
York Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "York - potential capital of the north"
- "The Old Capital of the North"
- "History and shopping."
- "York - a standout amongst the pretenders"
- "YORK - 2000 YEARS OF HISTORY"
- See All...
- Things to Do in York
- Hotels in York
- Transportation in York
- Nightlife in York
- Restaurants in York
- Shopping in York
- Warnings and Dangers in York
- See All...
Badges & Stats in York
- 37 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (275)
Have you been to York?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in York
- Posted in Travel Sydney Forum "Re: 5 nights Sydney with toddler..."
- updated a York Travel Page "York - a standout amongst the pretenders"
- Commented on one of tvor's York travel pages
- Wrote a Review Our Lady's Row about Goodramgate - Our Lady's Row in York Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "Our Lady's Row"
Photos in YorkSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 228 reviews, 567 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 136 reviews, 485 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 152 reviews, 383 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 254 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 76 reviews, 191 photos