"Sardegna is Sardegna" Top 5 Page for this destination Sardegna by iandsmith
Sardegna Travel Guide: 802 reviews and 2,356 photos
I came to Sardegna having done a little research and left grateful that I had.
During my time there I learnt a few things.
1. Sardegna is Sardegna and that's the way locals like it. It is not Sicily or Italy, it is Sardegna.
2. The reason for "1" is that its history is substantially different. Many invasions that affected Sicily and the Italian mainland passed by here while others had a substantial impact.
3. If you're looking for Renaissance Italy then you'll be sadly disappointed.
4. What you should expect (bearing in mind I only saw the north half) is lovely rural scenery, at times spectacular; every possible shape of rock (mainly granite) that you could ever dream of.
5. Lots of water with a lovely coastline and some decent beaches.
6. As everyone else has noted, the Nuraghi are everywhere. If you can, go to a site where there's a guide. It will enlighten you.
What you get, once you drag yourself away from the beaches, is rural scenery, lots of it because there aren't any towns of huge size in inland Sardinia.
Much of the scenery is truly delightful and panoramic with verdant fields backed by dramatic mountain ranges which, although not the highest in the world, are emphasised by their nakedness.
It is a great place for bushwalkers (hikers) because much of the island is still natural.
- Pros:Lovely scenery, Nuraghi, beaches, water sports, rocks
- Cons:It's not like the Italian mainland
- In a nutshell:A place for those who love the water
Where the Rinaggia has its source is where the park is. This splendid park is worth taking time out for. I came to the... more travel advice
It seems no matter where you go in Italy, there are different ways of arriving at solutions to building problems and all... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Sardegna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Sardegna is Sardegna"
- "Sardinia - Something for everyone"
- "ISLAND WITH DIFFERENT FACES"
- "Sardegna's South"
- "~A Canadian Gal in Sardegna~"
- "Italy's second biggest island"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Sardegna
- Hotels in Sardegna
- Transportation in Sardegna
- Nightlife in Sardegna
- Restaurants in Sardegna
- Shopping in Sardegna
- Warnings and Dangers in Sardegna
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Sardegna
- 57 Reviews
- 150 Photos
- 2 Forum posts
- 4 Cities
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (266)
Have you been to Sardegna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Sardegna
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 225 reviews, 552 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 447 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 150 reviews, 380 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 76 reviews, 191 photos