"More than your average ruin" Top 5 Page for this destination Aquiléia by iandsmith
Aquiléia Travel Guide: 88 reviews and 216 photos
It's reasonable to suggest that the current town of Aquileia wouldn't exist if it weren't for the Romans. Yet the cause of its original existence is no longer there, i.e. the port.
What once was a 48 metre wide shipping canal is now a metre one side of a walkway and a couple of metres the other.
However, tourism holds this village together. The busloads have found this place and I can't blame them for that. I had plenty to occupy my fertile brain while I was trudging around the sites and still I only saw about half, missing the reputedly good museum among other things.
Herod the Great, the famous king of Judea, was received in this very village in 10 A.D. by Emperor Augustus. A.D. 381 saw it host the early Christian church summit on doctrinal issues.
After many sackings of the town following this the town was abandoned a century later, its port falling into disrepair and disuse with silting.
So it is today that there are many remains and the local tourism board has made good use of them with a helpful tourist office, good literature and multi language signposting around the interesting sites, the most fascinating of which is inquestionably the duomo.
Ever wondered what to do with that cast-off muffler? Sick of all that metallic junk in the backyard? Well, here's your... more travel advice
Ever wondered where all those classical statues come from? Well, I'm here to put you out of your misery. The classical... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Aquiléia Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "More than your average ruin"
- "History remains"
- "Antiquity in Northeast Italy"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Aquiléia
- Hotels in Aquiléia
- Transportation in Aquiléia
- Restaurants in Aquiléia
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Aquiléia
- 11 Reviews
- 12 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (274)
Have you been to Aquiléia?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Aquiléia
- Posted in Travel Alice Springs Forum "Re: Alice Springs or Ayers Rock?"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Just the thing for your garden"
- Commented on one of croisbeauty's Aquiléia travel pages
- Wrote a Review Amazing and unique in Aquiléia Off The Beaten Path
- created a Aquiléia Travel Page "More than your average ruin"
Photos in AquiléiaSee All Photos (12)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 226 reviews, 557 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 136 reviews, 485 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 152 reviews, 383 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 76 reviews, 191 photos