"More than your average ruin" Top 5 Page for this destination Aquiléia by iandsmith

Aquiléia Travel Guide: 88 reviews and 216 photos

A quick history

It's reasonable to suggest that the current town of Aquileia wouldn't exist if it weren't for the Romans. Yet the cause of its original existence is no longer there, i.e. the port.
What once was a 48 metre wide shipping canal is now a metre one side of a walkway and a couple of metres the other.
However, tourism holds this village together. The busloads have found this place and I can't blame them for that. I had plenty to occupy my fertile brain while I was trudging around the sites and still I only saw about half, missing the reputedly good museum among other things.
Herod the Great, the famous king of Judea, was received in this very village in 10 A.D. by Emperor Augustus. A.D. 381 saw it host the early Christian church summit on doctrinal issues.
After many sackings of the town following this the town was abandoned a century later, its port falling into disrepair and disuse with silting.
So it is today that there are many remains and the local tourism board has made good use of them with a helpful tourist office, good literature and multi language signposting around the interesting sites, the most fascinating of which is inquestionably the duomo.

• Last visit to Aquiléia: Mar 2004
  • Intro Written Mar 25, 2004

• globerover's Profile Photo
    Oct 1, 2005 at 3:42 AM

a fascinating place, indeed ... this is one of the Roman sites I always wanted to visit when I was in Italy, but so far never did; I hope my virtual visit to your page will one day be followed by a real one (and I shall bring along my old mufflers, too)

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Feb 13, 2005 at 1:33 PM

Thank for your page of Aquileia. I have read so much about this city that I have never visited but that has long run Istrian cities I have visited extensively. I must pay a visit to Aquileia ! Superb pictures of mosaics! Where is exactly the Don Quixotes?

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Sep 26, 2004 at 5:24 AM

Traveling around Italy many times I was aleays surpriced how many (thousands) small and interesting places they offer. Not enough life to see all of them in person... but on VT... thanks for sharing :-)

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2004 at 3:13 PM

I certainly want one of the statues for my garden; I also loved the "muffler art"! Thanks for explanation of the allegorical mosaics. Your description of crypts was superior. Romanesque Mosaics were unbelievable. I'd love to see it all. Great work, Ian.

• unravelau's Profile Photo
    Jun 11, 2004 at 12:55 AM

Fantastic is the only word that I can find to adequately reflect this page Ian. All of these little known places in Italy are giving up their secrets to vt through you.....well done. Thank you.

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Badges & Stats in Aquiléia

Have you been to Aquiléia?

Latest Activity in Aquiléia