"The world's best restaurant" Top 5 Page for this destination Ascoli Piceno by iandsmith
Ascoli Piceno Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 132 photos
So, you've eaten in five star or, maybe if you've been to the middle east, 7 star hotels. Enjoy. However, for me, this lady is where it's at.
Trattoria Laliva. A restaurant with a story, a lady who loves cooking and is artistic to boot.
I drove a long way off my schedule to eat here, such were the delights of the previous year.
The fact that I wanted to see Ascoli Piceno in the daylight was also another good enough reason!
However, I digress. Marinella Migliori and I have been introduced. How did that happen? The best way I can explain is to copy you in on the Email I sent home. I believe that explains it all.
"IT'S ALL ENDING UP IN TEARS
Last year Rosemarie and I ate at a restaurant (that's what they're for, I know). It was in Ascoli Piceno. Fate dictated that today I ate there again. It turned out to be an unforgettable experience.
After arriving I made it known that I had eaten here last year. She seemed to remember me, but I couldn't be sure. I placed an order for some of her local food that we had enjoyed last year and, while the food was being prepared I noticed a newspaper article on the wall and started to read it. It was fascinating. This lady is part of a local family that saved the olive. No, not the crap we eat in Australia. This olive, as with our tasty tomatoes, was going downhill because it would bruise when dropped, not like the tough variety. Olive groves were abandoned but this special olive belonged to special people and they weren't about to let it go. It is a fatter, softer olive with more taste and, as I worked out, is one of the reasons we loved the food here so much.
So I went to my car, got my pen and started copying bits of the story. The lady noticed this and came over and pointed to the article next to me that I had ignored. I started reading it. There was a familiar tone to the tale. I said I had something on the internet on "virtualtourist" about her trattoria. It was then I noticed the name on the second article. It was mine!
Incredibly, her daughter had surfed the internet for mentions of the trattoria and come up with my article, added an Italian translation, laminated it and hung it on the wall.
I was flattered and flabbergasted all at once. Not easy I can assure you.
The food arrived. You know how you expect so much but it never quite meets your expectations. This didn't fail at all. Just as good as last year.
In the other article it said that she is an innovative cook and has invented several dishes of her own based on local (Ascoli Piceno) dishes.
Dessert arrived. I cannot believe what this woman did with an apple. If I'd known they tasted that good when I was young I would have eaten more.
I started to pack up but she brought another dessert. Same story, different dessert. I drool just thinking about Marinella's food. (By this time we had introduced ourselves.)
Finally I went to depart, pulled my wallet out and started to pay. She refused, point blank. Couldn't have someone saying all those nice things about her paying for a meal.
We had our picture taken together, but not before she went and got dressed up in her chef's outfit. Thumbs up and arms around the shoulder and the flash went off.
For the third time I put my backpack on and started to leave. We kissed each other on the cheek and both of us had tears in our eyes. I swear it's true. The first time in my life I ever cried in a restaurant.
We'll be back next year."
I hope her daughter keeps surfing the internet, I lost the card with her Email address that she gave me so I could send the photo - help!
I've now been here a third time, 2009, and Marinella might even come to Australia to visit us!
- Pros:Clean, lack of pollution, well preserved buildings, fabulous food, safe town, no mass tourism
- Cons:It's not in Tuscany. Actually that's a plus.
- In a nutshell:I'm going back again, so should you.
Wool. In Australia we know about wool. For many years there was a saying "Australia rides on the sheep's back". It was... more travel advice
The Convent of Sant Agostino has a chequered history, and not all of that has been recorded. These days it isn't a... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Ascoli Piceno Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Ascoli Piceno: Architecture, Handicrafts, Gastromy"
- "The world's best restaurant"
- "Ascoli Piceno"
- "Undiscovered Little Jewel"
- "ASCOLI PICENO"
- "Ascoli Piceno"
- "ASCOLI PICENO !!!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ascoli Piceno
- Hotels in Ascoli Piceno
- Transportation in Ascoli Piceno
- Nightlife in Ascoli Piceno
- Restaurants in Ascoli Piceno
- Shopping in Ascoli Piceno
- Warnings and Dangers in Ascoli Piceno
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ascoli Piceno
- 13 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (94)
Have you been to Ascoli Piceno?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ascoli Piceno
Photos in Ascoli PicenoSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 222 reviews, 537 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 149 reviews, 376 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 47 reviews, 218 photos