"The world's best restaurant" Top 5 Page for this destination Ascoli Piceno by iandsmith

Ascoli Piceno Travel Guide: 53 reviews and 132 photos

Why is it so?

So, you've eaten in five star or, maybe if you've been to the middle east, 7 star hotels. Enjoy. However, for me, this lady is where it's at.
Trattoria Laliva. A restaurant with a story, a lady who loves cooking and is artistic to boot.
I drove a long way off my schedule to eat here, such were the delights of the previous year.
The fact that I wanted to see Ascoli Piceno in the daylight was also another good enough reason!
However, I digress. Marinella Migliori and I have been introduced. How did that happen? The best way I can explain is to copy you in on the Email I sent home. I believe that explains it all.
"IT'S ALL ENDING UP IN TEARS
Last year Rosemarie and I ate at a restaurant (that's what they're for, I know). It was in Ascoli Piceno. Fate dictated that today I ate there again. It turned out to be an unforgettable experience.
After arriving I made it known that I had eaten here last year. She seemed to remember me, but I couldn't be sure. I placed an order for some of her local food that we had enjoyed last year and, while the food was being prepared I noticed a newspaper article on the wall and started to read it. It was fascinating. This lady is part of a local family that saved the olive. No, not the crap we eat in Australia. This olive, as with our tasty tomatoes, was going downhill because it would bruise when dropped, not like the tough variety. Olive groves were abandoned but this special olive belonged to special people and they weren't about to let it go. It is a fatter, softer olive with more taste and, as I worked out, is one of the reasons we loved the food here so much.
So I went to my car, got my pen and started copying bits of the story. The lady noticed this and came over and pointed to the article next to me that I had ignored. I started reading it. There was a familiar tone to the tale. I said I had something on the internet on "virtualtourist" about her trattoria. It was then I noticed the name on the second article. It was mine!
Incredibly, her daughter had surfed the internet for mentions of the trattoria and come up with my article, added an Italian translation, laminated it and hung it on the wall.
I was flattered and flabbergasted all at once. Not easy I can assure you.
The food arrived. You know how you expect so much but it never quite meets your expectations. This didn't fail at all. Just as good as last year.
In the other article it said that she is an innovative cook and has invented several dishes of her own based on local (Ascoli Piceno) dishes.
Dessert arrived. I cannot believe what this woman did with an apple. If I'd known they tasted that good when I was young I would have eaten more.
I started to pack up but she brought another dessert. Same story, different dessert. I drool just thinking about Marinella's food. (By this time we had introduced ourselves.)
Finally I went to depart, pulled my wallet out and started to pay. She refused, point blank. Couldn't have someone saying all those nice things about her paying for a meal.
We had our picture taken together, but not before she went and got dressed up in her chef's outfit. Thumbs up and arms around the shoulder and the flash went off.
For the third time I put my backpack on and started to leave. We kissed each other on the cheek and both of us had tears in our eyes. I swear it's true. The first time in my life I ever cried in a restaurant.
We'll be back next year."
I hope her daughter keeps surfing the internet, I lost the card with her Email address that she gave me so I could send the photo - help!
I've now been here a third time, 2009, and Marinella might even come to Australia to visit us!

• Pros:Clean, lack of pollution, well preserved buildings, fabulous food, safe town, no mass tourism
  • Cons:It's not in Tuscany. Actually that's a plus.
  • In a nutshell:I'm going back again, so should you.
  • Last visit to Ascoli Piceno: Oct 2009
  • Intro Updated Oct 27, 2009

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jan 12, 2012 at 3:51 PM

We always wished to get to this region-and if time and body permit, maybe yet one day. You did a very nice job of showing the sites and culture

• oriettaIT's Profile Photo
    Oct 13, 2009 at 6:47 AM

ha! no kidding you want to go back!! bookmarked the place for next visit :-)

• Trekki's Profile Photo
    Mar 9, 2008 at 1:10 AM

What a fascinating story about the trattoria :-)) I want to go there immediately :-)) Just returned to save your restaurant tip :-) Do you know that you are on their website? trattorialaliva.it/pubblica....

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Apr 25, 2005 at 3:46 PM

Well, I am impressed. Impressed that you were so impressed. Great story, Ian. This place seems my style and your photos are so enticing. You even come off optimistic this time...will wonders never cease?

• EllenH's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2004 at 11:26 AM

I love that restaurant already.

• DanielF's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2004 at 10:59 AM

I can live without the cleanliness. I even dislike asepthic places. But I would drive back as far as Ascoli-Piceno if you promise that restaurant was really that good!

• craic's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2004 at 8:01 PM

What an excellent page.

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Badges & Stats in Ascoli Piceno

Have you been to Ascoli Piceno?

Latest Activity in Ascoli Piceno