"Lago Di Bolsena" Lago di Bolsena by iandsmith

Lago di Bolsena Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 14 photos

Why am I here?

I didn't mean to be here. I had sought accommodation elsewhere. Lots of places elsewhere. However, like much of Italy on my second trip, they were closed. Not yet open for the new season. Chiuso.
As an Australian, I still find this aspect of Europe hard to deal with. It's a self perpetuating myth as I see it. Things are closed because there are no tourists. There are no tourists because things are closed. Very "Catch 22" if you ask me. (Now there's a book I found very difficult to read.)
I digress. Lago di Bolsena offered a B&B and I accepted. As it came to pass, Lago di Bolsena offers lots of B&B's and is an excellent place to base yourself.
Within comfortable distance you can go to Orvieto, Pitigliano, Sovana, Caprarola, Bagnaia (Villa Lante), Viterbo, Todi and Montefiascone to name but a few.
Also, most of the B&B's overlook the lake which makes for a lovely respite after a hard day's travelling or a lovely day by the pool if you just want to relax with a view. Tennis is optional.
The accommodation house owners around this lago will be choking on their breakfast when they see this picture of their summer resort but, hey, I loved it. Very atmospheric.

The Email I sent back home

LAGO DI BOLSENA
Amazingly, I drove at night for two hours in Italy without getting lost, merely overshooting two turnoffs by a car length or two, hardly worthy of mention. This feat was performed despite lightning flashes and thunder which preceded light rain.......then heavy rain..........then hail...........then hail so heavy the entire autostrada was white with ice except for the wheel tracks..... then snow......then back to boring old rain again. Send it down Thor, you bastard, we Aussies can handle it!
LA RISERVA MONTEBELLO - the destination of my drive. Here is a farm stay, part of 25 rooms the owner has in three different locations set beside a summer resort lake called Lago di Bolsena. The expected rustic Tuscan style farmhouse eventuated accompanied by a swimming pool and tennis court. The view is not stunningly spectacular but it certainly is pretty from my first floor vantage point halfway up the hillside surrounding the lake. The two islands, Martana and Bisentia, are clearly visible (when the weather allows) particularly the sheer cliffs of the latter. The snow dump overnight has transformed even the mundane into picturesque as I discovered on my morning ramble, awaiting the belated 8.30 breakfast (so called as Italians have yet to discover that you're allowed to eat food BEFORE lunch). Bearing in mind what they choose to call breakfast, it's no surprise that they don't eat till lunch!
The unpalatable mixture of stale bread, recycled orange juice, 2nd rate plain cake (slightly burnt) and jam of indiscriminate origin was supplemented, thank God, by some corn flakes. Sadly, no milk was forthcoming, despite my pleas, for over 10 minutes as I watched the cats circling outside the full length windows of the dining room, not knowing how much better off they'd be in Australia where a sausage, bacon, chop, fresh bread, weet bix and other treats might be had. Eventually the latte arrived, one degree below boiling point, carried by the unshaven, chain-smoking waiter. I have no idea where it came from (after the cow) but suspect it was from the same place my hot tea did, even later on, coffee being the only drink readily available. The choice of Russian Earl Grey tea was also not acceptable to my palate though I'm sure my best friend back in Oz, John Woollett, would have loved it to go with his equally unpalatable rice crackers.

• Pros:Great area to stay in; great base for sightseeing, nice views
  • In a nutshell:l'm going back to spend a whole week next time
  • Last visit to Lago di Bolsena: Mar 2004
  • Intro Updated Apr 22, 2004

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Badges & Stats in Lago di Bolsena

Have you been to Lago di Bolsena?

Latest Activity in Lago di Bolsena