"America has landed" Top 5 Page for this destination Cortona by iandsmith
Cortona Travel Guide: 97 reviews and 225 photos
It's quite amazing what a little publicity can do. There was a painting sitting in a gallery then someone gave it a rap in the 1920's and the rush was on. The fact that there are many superior works and many with the same attributes as this one seem irrelevant. Mona Lisa had arrived from almost virtual obscurity.
I strongly suspect that's what will happen to Cortona. First the book, then the movie, then the tourists. As Tuscan-style hilltop towns go, it's average, though pleasant enough in its own way it's hardly outstanding in the manner, say, of Orvieto, Siena or Spoleto.
I first came to view the reputed Etruscan museum. By the time I'd gotten lost again I arrived 5 minutes before closing and never did see it. Thus I returned a year later, spent most of the day there this time, and still haven't seen the museum. The reason this time was that I'd seen the triumvirate of Sorana, Sovana and Pitigliano and felt I'd seen the best of Etrusca, particularly as I'd also seen the classic Etruscan museum at Volterra.
I felt I owed Cortona more time really, so I went back anyway.
I was truly fascinated at reading VTpages written by someone outside the country and then "mariocibelli"'s comments on "Under the Tuscan Sun".
Where one arrives and expects there to be monuments, plaques or some recognition of the work, the other points out different side issues. I found the two viewpoints very insightful.
Personally, I read the book to about the halfway point but stories of house renovations I don't find totally stimulating so I've left it for another day.
I reflect that people come to Verona to see Romeo and Juliet, igoring the Renaissance gardens, art galleries and archeological finds and now they will come to see Cortona because someone has written about what she did and they may ignore the other interesting things Cortona has to offer.
I came to Cortona to see the history, from Etruscan to medieval through Renaissance. The power struggles of the dominant families, city states and papacy are infinitely more interesting. It's a shame people don't take more time to find out about them in my humble opinion.
- Pros:Clean, easy to get around, nice views from the restaurant
- In a nutshell:A pleasant way to spend a day
If you are staying at Cortona for more than a day or two and want something to do then I can certainly recommend a... more travel advice
This is what Cortona looks like coming from the southern side on the road from Perugia - a classic Tuscan hilltop... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Cortona Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "America has landed"
- "Living a Tuscan Dream"
- "A Perfect Tuscan Experience"
- "Bellissima Cortona"
- "Cortona - charming and historical hilltown"
- "The Town that Frances Mayes Built"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Cortona
- Hotels in Cortona
- Transportation in Cortona
- Nightlife in Cortona
- Restaurants in Cortona
- Shopping in Cortona
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Cortona
- 20 Reviews
- 20 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (275)
Have you been to Cortona?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cortona
Photos in CortonaSee All Photos (20)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 228 reviews, 567 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 136 reviews, 485 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 152 reviews, 383 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 254 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 76 reviews, 191 photos