"Lots of history" Top 5 Page for this destination Fiesole by iandsmith

Fiesole Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 148 photos

A bit of this and a bit of that

Fiesole flaunts its history. Some lay extravagant claims to what the town and the area holds. That, in fact, was why I decided to spend some time there on my second trip, unlike previously when I drove through the place every day for three days while I tried to see some of Florence.
There is a broad spectrum of civilization here but, for me, there's not a lot of it. I had seen far superior Etruscan stuff at Sovana and Volterra, much better Roman stuff in Naples, Ostia Antica, Ephesus and Rome itself. I will say one thing though; the small well laid out museum had some top drawer pottery from the Hellenistic period, as good as any I've seen in the British Museum, Greece or southern Italy.
This one had the title "Lekythos" on it and appears to have common scenes depicted. A lekythos is a form of ancient Greek pottery. Specifically, this pottery is cylindrical in form with one vertical handle, attached to a slender neck, with a slightly wider mouth at the top. Lekythoi were thought to be used primarily as religious or decorative objects. In particular, lekythoi were used to hold oil or perfume, most commonly during religious ceremonies. Funerary rituals would be one such religious ritual for which the lekythos would be used. This claim is substantiated by the fact that lekythoi have been found in and around tombs and excavated from ancient homes. It can be hypothesized that this type of usage is partially because of the decorative style of painting on lekythoi. The subject matter of lekythoi usually deals with common daily activities or rituals. This means that lekythoi often depict scenes pertaining to an individual's daily existence; some of the activities shown may be mundane tasks. Other lekythoi may illustrate funerary rites or a scene of loss or a sense of departure. The figures found on lekythoi are often outline drawings that are somber in appearance and generally lack emotion. These interpretations lend themselves to the belief that lekythoi may have been used in funerary capacities or as a decoration.
As for churches and piazzas around Fiesole, at best they are average. If I was recommending the town to anyone, I'd suggest you go there before you go elsewhere.
I also have a memory of driving through Fiesole. The road narrows, a bus comes from the other direction, there's a car parked on the other side. Instead of severe braking I decide to chance my arm (and the car body) and go for the gap, albeit at low speed. I'm that close to the parked car my side mirror gets folded back and how the bus missed the other side is a mystery. Don't you just love driving in Italy?

• Pros:Pieces of many civilizations, restaurant with a splendid view over Florence
  • Cons:Not a lot of standout items
  • Last visit to Fiesole: Mar 2004
  • Intro Updated May 27, 2004

• egonwegh's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2012 at 2:46 AM

Did you visit the Roman theatre at Fiesole while you were there? It's true that it is not one of the world's largest, but I liked it a lot --- "Fiesole Page" - Fiesole by egonwegh

• roamer61's Profile Photo
    Jan 16, 2009 at 8:37 AM

Nice little page. I hope to visit when in Tuscany this April.

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Feb 29, 2008 at 2:10 AM

I will definitely visit Fiesole next month. Ciao!

• cpiers47's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2007 at 7:45 AM

Thanks for stopping by my Ireland pages. . .I've enjoyed your tips on the more obscure towns in Italy and the Brugges photo on your homepage is magnificent!

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    Nov 2, 2004 at 1:19 AM

I loved Fiesole, as you mentioned wonderful views over Florance & Tuscan countryside. Damn cold up there in the winter though, funny photo story! Nice page (~_~)

• craic's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2004 at 12:55 AM

Those little cars look like they have been sat on by an elephant.

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Badges & Stats in Fiesole

Have you been to Fiesole?

Latest Activity in Fiesole