"Lots of history" Top 5 Page for this destination Fiesole by iandsmith
Fiesole Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 148 photos
Fiesole flaunts its history. Some lay extravagant claims to what the town and the area holds. That, in fact, was why I decided to spend some time there on my second trip, unlike previously when I drove through the place every day for three days while I tried to see some of Florence.
There is a broad spectrum of civilization here but, for me, there's not a lot of it. I had seen far superior Etruscan stuff at Sovana and Volterra, much better Roman stuff in Naples, Ostia Antica, Ephesus and Rome itself. I will say one thing though; the small well laid out museum had some top drawer pottery from the Hellenistic period, as good as any I've seen in the British Museum, Greece or southern Italy.
This one had the title "Lekythos" on it and appears to have common scenes depicted. A lekythos is a form of ancient Greek pottery. Specifically, this pottery is cylindrical in form with one vertical handle, attached to a slender neck, with a slightly wider mouth at the top. Lekythoi were thought to be used primarily as religious or decorative objects. In particular, lekythoi were used to hold oil or perfume, most commonly during religious ceremonies. Funerary rituals would be one such religious ritual for which the lekythos would be used. This claim is substantiated by the fact that lekythoi have been found in and around tombs and excavated from ancient homes. It can be hypothesized that this type of usage is partially because of the decorative style of painting on lekythoi. The subject matter of lekythoi usually deals with common daily activities or rituals. This means that lekythoi often depict scenes pertaining to an individual's daily existence; some of the activities shown may be mundane tasks. Other lekythoi may illustrate funerary rites or a scene of loss or a sense of departure. The figures found on lekythoi are often outline drawings that are somber in appearance and generally lack emotion. These interpretations lend themselves to the belief that lekythoi may have been used in funerary capacities or as a decoration.
As for churches and piazzas around Fiesole, at best they are average. If I was recommending the town to anyone, I'd suggest you go there before you go elsewhere.
I also have a memory of driving through Fiesole. The road narrows, a bus comes from the other direction, there's a car parked on the other side. Instead of severe braking I decide to chance my arm (and the car body) and go for the gap, albeit at low speed. I'm that close to the parked car my side mirror gets folded back and how the bus missed the other side is a mystery. Don't you just love driving in Italy?
- Pros:Pieces of many civilizations, restaurant with a splendid view over Florence
- Cons:Not a lot of standout items
One of the things you should budget for your time is to sit and sup overlooking the plains of Florence. I can tell you I... more travel advice
Erected around a basilica shape floor plan, the San Romolo Cathedral was commissioned by Bishop Jacopo il Bavaro in 1028... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Fiesole Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "My sort of place........................"
- "Fiesole: The Perfect Getaway"
- "Lots of history"
- "Fiesole Page"
- "Relaxing Afternoon Retreat From the Heat"
- "A Tuscan escape just minutes from Florence."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Fiesole
- Hotels in Fiesole
- Transportation in Fiesole
- Nightlife in Fiesole
- Restaurants in Fiesole
- Shopping in Fiesole
- Warnings and Dangers in Fiesole
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Fiesole
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (94)
Have you been to Fiesole?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Fiesole
Photos in FiesoleSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 222 reviews, 537 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 149 reviews, 376 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 47 reviews, 218 photos