"Welcome to Lago Land" Top 5 Page for this destination Lago di Garda by iandsmith
Lago di Garda Travel Guide: 471 reviews and 1,068 photos
In fact, it's a garden. Unsure what to open this page with I thought I'd share one of the treats I found simply driving along. You don't have to look hard to find this, it's right on the main road in Gargnano. The old palace is on one side and the gardens, shown here, are on the other.
When Count Carlo Bettoni got his titles in 1751 he thought he should have some edifice befitting his station and so it was that he commissioned noted Viennese architect, Adrian Cristifoli, to commence proceedings in 1753.
Though the rest of his siblings decided to settle elsewhere in Bogliaco, Carlo continued with his splendid palace and I, for one, am grateful.
Without the lake, life would be different. I realise that's stating the bleeding obvious but it has shaped the way the towns have grown and their uses have varied.
The largest of Italy's lakes, La Garda is also the easternmost of those with any reasonable amount of water. In the south, the surrounding countryside is flat and agriculture still is a main industry but the unmistakeable signs of tourism and leisure are everywhere, personified by Garda Land, the Italian lake's version of Disneyland, hugely popular in summer, closed when I was there (what did you expect!).
There are many historical buildings, none more famous than the castle at Sirmione, a town on the southern shore situated on a narrow penisula. It has access to the land and sea. The Rocca Scaligera dominates the northern tip of the town and attracts tourists by the thousands.
Beside it there are pleasant lakeside walks and tourist shops.
Up north, the scenery is nothing less than dramatic, as these cliffs above Sarche clearly demonstrate.
Sports like snow skiing can be found nearby towns that you would normally associate with water sports. Sailing is very popular up here due to the catabatic winds that consistently fall from the towering mountains above and hiking is another popular activity.
The western side has more population but eastern towns such as Malcesine, where I stayed, certainly have much to recommend them
- Pros:Lots to see, water sports, history, Garda Land
- Cons:Water pollution
Should you be fortunate enough to be a passenger on the cable car up this is a small sample (taken from their brochure)... more travel advice
I rocked up to Malcesine having failed to get a B&B I was after over the internet. Thus it was that I parked in the main... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Lago di Garda Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lago di Garda"
- "LAGO DI GARDA"
- "A Mediterranean microclimate"
- "Welcome to Lago Land"
- "Lake Garda"
- "GARDALAND - FUN FOR YOUNG AND ... EVERYONE !"
- "Italy's largest and nicest lake"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Lago di Garda
- Hotels in Lago di Garda
- Transportation in Lago di Garda
- Nightlife in Lago di Garda
- Restaurants in Lago di Garda
- Shopping in Lago di Garda
- Warnings and Dangers in Lago di Garda
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Lago di Garda
- 31 Reviews
- 33 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (94)
Have you been to Lago di Garda?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lago di Garda
Photos in Lago di GardaSee All Photos (33)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 222 reviews, 537 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 149 reviews, 376 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 47 reviews, 218 photos