"One up, one down" Marostica by iandsmith
Marostica Travel Guide: 31 reviews and 79 photos
Here is a town where, if you can find the right view point, you can see the entire wall of the town. I have seen a picture to prove it but, try as I may, the vantage point escaped me.
It's a little bit unique inasmuch as the wall doesn't entirely go around a hill or confine itself to the river, it has a foot in both worlds.
When heading out from Vicenza I asked my B&B host about towns I should consider and Marostica was the first word he uttered. So I went there........................obviously!
The town was another stronghold of Ezzelino da Romano, whose fortress glowers down on the old centre from the crest of the hill of Pausolino. The Ezzelini controlled Marostica for quite a while - Ezzelino III was preceded by Ezzelino the Stutterer and Ezzelino the Monk (now there's a family for you!) - but it was another despotic dynasty, the Scaligers of Verona, who constructed the town walls and the Castello Inferiore (lower castle).
In front of the castle is Piazza Castello, the central square of the town, onto which is painted the board for the Partita a Scacchi , the town's principal claim to fame. The game's origin was an everyday chivalric story of rival suitors, the only unusual aspect being that the matter was decided with chess pieces rather than swords.
It is played on the second week in September in even years, with the following dates and hours:
friday - h. 21,00
saturday - h. 21,00
sunday - h. 17,00 and h. 21,00
The viewing platforms hold 4.000 people.
- Pros:Nice old town with things of interest
- Cons:Not a lot of it.
- In a nutshell:Off the beaten tourist path but interesting.
Soon after you leave Marostica, especially if you're heading into the Dolomites, you pass through Basso del Grappa (yes... more travel advice
This gives you an idea of the panoramic vista that awaits should you (a) get to the top of the hill and (b) get to the... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Marostica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Marostica - Maròstega"
- "One up, one down"
- "Marostica - Home of the Human Chess Game Scacchi"
- "Human Chess anyone?"
- "Under the rain"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Marostica
- Hotels in Marostica
- Transportation in Marostica
- Restaurants in Marostica
- Shopping in Marostica
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Marostica
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (94)
Have you been to Marostica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Marostica
Photos in MarosticaSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 222 reviews, 537 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 149 reviews, 376 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 47 reviews, 218 photos