"Not sailing - skiing" Lago di Molveno by iandsmith

Lago di Molveno Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 20 photos

More wonderful the second time around

I'd often wondered since my first visit just how beautiful it would be if I ever managed to see it on a fine day. Now, I have to wonder no longer.
With autumnal tones beckoning us all the way from Lago di Garda it came as no surprise to see the stunning beauty that this small lake offered.
I'll let my picture tell the story.

Snow heaven

Let's be brutally honest here. Lago Molveno in winter is not a good place for boating activities.........especially if you fall in the water! No, I didn't do either.
I did however, spend a wonderful day at Monte Paganella skiing most of the mountain, having two spectacular prangs but mostly, a good time.
Lago di Molveno, the town, is surprisingly quiet in winter. I was fortunate to get a room. Europeans are spoilt rotten when it comes to skiing and staying anywhere other than actually in the snowfield doesn't make sense. In Australia, it's often not even an option!

• Pros:Good sailing, good skiing, good facilities, great location,
  • Cons:The usual smog
  • In a nutshell:Uncrowded winter pleasure, beautiful anytime
  • Last visit to Lago di Molveno: Nov 2009
  • Intro Updated Dec 15, 2009

• MalenaN's Profile Photo
    Sep 13, 2013 at 11:00 PM

What a wonderful place! The Dolomites are on my wishlist and one day I would like to go there to hike. Skiing looks great too!

• iandsmith's Profile Photo
      Sep 15, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Thanks for the ratings, the Dolomites really are special

• ray_d's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2006 at 11:47 AM

Lovely place. Have never been there in winter.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 7, 2005 at 11:32 AM

When I need a "chuckle", I know I can depend on you. I wish I knew what "wattle blooming in a pot" means. I certainly appreciate the beauty of the mountains, but would prefer them in warmer months , being a non-skiing Yankee...keep the sarcasm down, Ian!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Dec 26, 2004 at 8:15 PM

Ian, a very enjoyable page on your Italian ski adventure!! It definitely is a good idea to just stop and enjoy the views every once in a while! I know what you mean re the muffled church chimes - had a problem with those in Portugal!

• unravelau's Profile Photo
    Sep 9, 2004 at 3:20 AM

Bloomin wattle bloomin', what'll you do for a laugh.........at least when you fall off skis, snow is a soft landing..........not so off bikes. Great page, thank you.

• GillianMcLaughlin's Profile Photo
    Aug 6, 2004 at 7:47 AM

Those mountains in your morning shot I know so well. I spent a couple of weeks hillwalking in this area and staying in the Rifuggion la Montanara at the top of the skiloft from Molveno. Great pages. Must dig out some photos!

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo
    Jul 20, 2004 at 2:59 PM

Well, there was a little luck in having no heat. The Hotel Milano sure has a wonderful setting. Your mountain views on this Molveno page are wonderful! I would love to see those Aussies in their 18 fters! What a blast that would be!

• craic's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2004 at 8:07 PM

Another excellent page - but you haven't been anywhere where I am planning to go.

• sandysmith's Profile Photo
    May 7, 2004 at 3:30 PM

This is a place I have heard of and would love to visit..but in the summer!

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Badges & Stats in Lago di Molveno

Have you been to Lago di Molveno?

Latest Activity in Lago di Molveno