"Better than Pompeii?" Top 5 Page for this destination Ostia Antica by iandsmith
Ostia Antica Travel Guide: 81 reviews and 354 photos
Thus it was that, having seen enough of L'Aquila to satisfy me, I thought I'd have a go at checking out Ostia Antica before my flight left Rome that night. A couple of hours should do it. That was what I had convinced myself at least.
How I managed to go through Rome when I was trying to circumvent the city though is still a mystery to me.
I think luck had a part to play in my eventual arrival at Ostia Antica.
Then, there was the thing that struck me most. There was so much of it. What used to be the port of Rome, and a busy one at that, is much more intact than I was led to believe. My ambition to see it all on my last afternoon of Italy, part II, was clearly not to be satisfied. My appetite to return one day and see more of it definitely was however.
This particular view looks over to the museum where important items are held but there is also interest everywhere you walk. The Ostiense Museum where, in the great Casone del Sale, are gathered everyday objects in glass, ivory and bronze, the Roman tools found during the diggings, and also sarcophagus, funeral paintings and multi coloured mosaics.
For 600-plus years it was an active trading centre but two factors mainly led to its decline; (a) Malaria and (b) competition, so that by the 5th century A.D. it was, as they say, history!
- Pros:Much to see, easy to get around.
- In a nutshell:If you're into Roman history, this is a must see
I vividly remember pullilng up and wondering what on earth that large building was. Unmentioned in my guide book it... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Ostia Antica Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Let's move to Ostia - Ostia ANTICA !!"
- "Better than Pompeii?"
- "Walking into the past........"
- "HALF DAY ON OSTIA ANTICA"
- "Landscape + Ruins : A Beautiful Combination"
- "Antic Rome's port"
- "Ostia Antica"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ostia Antica
- Hotels in Ostia Antica
- Transportation in Ostia Antica
- Restaurants in Ostia Antica
- Shopping in Ostia Antica
- Warnings and Dangers in Ostia Antica
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ostia Antica
- 10 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (276)
Have you been to Ostia Antica?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ostia Antica
- Posted in Travel Australia Forum "Re: Great Barrier Reef"
- Uploaded a Photo to "As always, there's a story behind the buildings"
- updated a Ostia Antica Travel Page "Better than Pompeii?"
- Wrote a Review How did that get here? about Castello di Giulio Il in Ostia Antica Things to Do
- Commented on one of eden_teuling's Ostia Antica travel pages
Photos in Ostia AnticaSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 228 reviews, 567 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 136 reviews, 485 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 152 reviews, 383 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 254 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 76 reviews, 191 photos