"Better than Pompeii?" Top 5 Page for this destination Ostia Antica by iandsmith

Ostia Antica Travel Guide: 59 reviews and 254 photos

The vastness of it all

Thus it was that, having seen enough of L'Aquila to satisfy me, I thought I'd have a go at checking out Ostia Antica before my flight left Rome that night. A couple of hours should do it. That was what I had convinced myself at least.
How I managed to go through Rome when I was trying to circumvent the city though is still a mystery to me.
I think luck had a part to play in my eventual arrival at Ostia Antica.
Then, there was the thing that struck me most. There was so much of it. What used to be the port of Rome, and a busy one at that, is much more intact than I was led to believe. My ambition to see it all on my last afternoon of Italy, part II, was clearly not to be satisfied. My appetite to return one day and see more of it definitely was however.
This particular view looks over to the museum where important items are held but there is also interest everywhere you walk. The Ostiense Museum where, in the great Casone del Sale, are gathered everyday objects in glass, ivory and bronze, the Roman tools found during the diggings, and also sarcophagus, funeral paintings and multi coloured mosaics.
For 600-plus years it was an active trading centre but two factors mainly led to its decline; (a) Malaria and (b) competition, so that by the 5th century A.D. it was, as they say, history!

• Pros:Much to see, easy to get around.
  • In a nutshell:If you're into Roman history, this is a must see
  • Last visit to Ostia Antica: Mar 2004
  • Intro Updated Jun 4, 2004

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Mar 8, 2008 at 6:57 AM

Heading for Rome with a friend this summer - Ostia is on her list, and after seeing this, now it's on mine! leyle

• Diana75's Profile Photo
    Oct 17, 2006 at 7:29 AM

Wonderful page, Ian. I will be visiting Rome again next January and I'm thinking to add also Ostia Antica.

• Aug 31, 2005 at 10:38 PM

an awesome page ian! i love the ancient roman places that i saw in rome, i wish i had the chance to see ostia antica. maybe next time! greets from across the nullabor! ;-)

• uglyscot's Profile Photo
    May 25, 2005 at 4:50 AM

Like you I left my visit to the last day, but I had a whole day and it still wasn't enough- only covered half of it. AND my camera batteries packed up part way.......Still, you/ve shown some of what I missed. Thanks.

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2005 at 10:22 AM

Enjoyed looking at your many pics of Osita Antica. Plan to see in person this September. Thanks for browsing my pages.

• RedEaredPanda's Profile Photo
    Feb 2, 2005 at 12:17 PM

Excellent pictures and descriptions of the place.. Loved the photo of the masks men wore doing theatre.. Gotta see this place for myself sometime.. Thanks again for sharing.. Rafi

• jmhenry1123's Profile Photo
    Jan 27, 2005 at 2:02 PM

Didn't get a chance to see Ostia Antica in my last trip to Italy but will make it a must see on my next!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2004 at 2:56 AM

Ian, you've outdone yourself with this one. Shot from ancient staircase is excellent. Text for theatre, super. Aphrodie Temple is so wonderful. History lesson I really appreciated. Bravo!

• sharala's Profile Photo
    Jun 10, 2004 at 10:33 AM

Amazing pic! I hope to visit in Autumn. Thanks!

• Sarita76's Profile Photo
    Jun 4, 2004 at 2:26 AM

Nice new page Ian! You know what? I haven't been there yet! :( Ciao ciao, Sara

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Badges & Stats in Ostia Antica

Have you been to Ostia Antica?