"Pitigliano - a town of interest" Pitigliano by iandsmith

Pitigliano Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 83 photos

Hanging in there

This town of over 4,000 inhabitants lies, rather obviously as seen in the photo, on a hilltop in southern Tuscany yet has a more medieval feel than a lot of the other more famous hilltop towns.
Houses draped over sheer cliffs make for a dramatic entrance to the place from the Sovana end as you rise via the hairpin bends to the top.
All the while, in the Sovana-Sorana-Pitigliano triangle you are passing by the richest Etruscan sites in Italy which, I have to admit, is what brought me here originally.
Though Sovana is the highlight in Etruscan terms there are still many evocative sites here from the B.C. period though the town itself is distinctly medieval, distinctly Orsini. This town also has many interesting walks and, to see it properly, you should allocate a minimum of at least one full day.
You won't find the crowds of the more famous hilltop towns though a smattering of tourists have discovered the place. One of the more interesting were the ones I met in Piazza della Repubblica. I quote here from my emails:
THE JEWISH CONNECTION
At some time before midday I was hungry in Pitigliano. At sometime before 1p.m. I was still hungry in Pitigliano. 5 trattoria or restaurants I had spied and not one was open (shades of Vienna). Well, actually one was open but as I pushed the door ajar it was obvious by the lack of light and the Bain Marie blocking the entrance that they were renovating. Thus it was that I found myself in a piazza eyeing off the Orsini Palace when some well-attired gentlemen of similar age approached me seeking directions. Luckily we all spoke English and, even more fortunate, I knew the answer to their query re a bridge. Upon my return query, they elaborated that they were from Israel doing a tour of Jewish ghettoes. Offhand I asked if they knew of any cafe that was open as I was starving, whereupon their leader took off his backpack, opened it and proffered me a bread roll with tomato. Having bad me to eat it I reflected that this could be the start of my conversion. I have broken bread with the Jews. Hallelujah!

• Pros:Variety of history, easy to get around
  • In a nutshell:If you like history, go there
  • Last visit to Pitigliano: Mar 2004
  • Intro Updated Apr 4, 2004

• craic's Profile Photo
    Apr 17, 2009 at 12:11 AM

what a fascinating page

• breughel's Profile Photo
    Sep 25, 2007 at 1:42 PM

Very good info. We will visit next week.

• ludogatto's Profile Photo
    Nov 27, 2006 at 1:03 AM

Pitigliano is always a good stop for a panino con porchetta on the way back to home from Montefiascone!

• freya_heaven's Profile Photo
    Dec 3, 2004 at 2:58 AM

What a beautiful place Ian, looks so unspoilt & romantic. Interesting history, loved the bread story (~_~)

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2004 at 4:04 PM

Sounds like a fascinating little place Ian. Like the breaking bread story too mate! Off north in about 1/2 so hour better get off the internet soon!

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2004 at 1:32 PM

The location itself looks awesome! The aqueduct as well.

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Badges & Stats in Pitigliano

Have you been to Pitigliano?

Latest Activity in Pitigliano