"Pitigliano - a town of interest" Pitigliano by iandsmith
Pitigliano Travel Guide: 37 reviews and 83 photos
This town of over 4,000 inhabitants lies, rather obviously as seen in the photo, on a hilltop in southern Tuscany yet has a more medieval feel than a lot of the other more famous hilltop towns.
Houses draped over sheer cliffs make for a dramatic entrance to the place from the Sovana end as you rise via the hairpin bends to the top.
All the while, in the Sovana-Sorana-Pitigliano triangle you are passing by the richest Etruscan sites in Italy which, I have to admit, is what brought me here originally.
Though Sovana is the highlight in Etruscan terms there are still many evocative sites here from the B.C. period though the town itself is distinctly medieval, distinctly Orsini. This town also has many interesting walks and, to see it properly, you should allocate a minimum of at least one full day.
You won't find the crowds of the more famous hilltop towns though a smattering of tourists have discovered the place. One of the more interesting were the ones I met in Piazza della Repubblica. I quote here from my emails:
THE JEWISH CONNECTION
At some time before midday I was hungry in Pitigliano. At sometime before 1p.m. I was still hungry in Pitigliano. 5 trattoria or restaurants I had spied and not one was open (shades of Vienna). Well, actually one was open but as I pushed the door ajar it was obvious by the lack of light and the Bain Marie blocking the entrance that they were renovating. Thus it was that I found myself in a piazza eyeing off the Orsini Palace when some well-attired gentlemen of similar age approached me seeking directions. Luckily we all spoke English and, even more fortunate, I knew the answer to their query re a bridge. Upon my return query, they elaborated that they were from Israel doing a tour of Jewish ghettoes. Offhand I asked if they knew of any cafe that was open as I was starving, whereupon their leader took off his backpack, opened it and proffered me a bread roll with tomato. Having bad me to eat it I reflected that this could be the start of my conversion. I have broken bread with the Jews. Hallelujah!
- Pros:Variety of history, easy to get around
- In a nutshell:If you like history, go there
In nearby Sorana and Sovana there are some wonderful evocative Etruscan remnants and, for me, none more so than the Via... more travel advice
From the Piazza del Commune you can take one of two stairways. The one to reach this viewpoint takes you up a... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Pitigliano Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Lovely hilltop town"
- "Pitigliano - a town of interest"
- "PITIGLIANO...an historical town !"
- "A Treasure on the rocks!"
- "Amazing village!"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Pitigliano
- Hotels in Pitigliano
- Transportation in Pitigliano
- Restaurants in Pitigliano
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Pitigliano
- 6 Reviews
- 7 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Pitigliano?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Pitigliano
- Posted in Travel Uluru National Park (Ayers Rock) Forum "Re: Tour Help!"
- Commented on one of orlandom's Pitigliano travel pages
- Wrote a Review The Etruscan connection in Pitigliano Things to Do
- Uploaded a Photo to "The Etruscan connection"
- updated a Pitigliano Travel Page "Pitigliano - a town of interest"
Photos in PitiglianoSee All Photos (7)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 225 reviews, 552 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 150 reviews, 380 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 76 reviews, 191 photos