Ravello Favorite Tips by iandsmith
Ravello Favorites: 15 reviews and 24 photos
The ceiling of the Turkish bath
Favorite thing: The architecture is characterized by the Entrance Tower with the straw-yellow surface, probably obtained from the powdered ceramic glazes; the Moorish cloister with small columns supporting pointed arches; the Main tower; the 18th century Garden; the Well; the Turkish bath with Balnea and Theatre; the Dining rooms and Chapel that today hosts art exhibitions and events.
Fondest memory: If you're in any way interested in architecture you won't fail to notice the different influences throughout the villa. I found it intriguing to see how they'd preserved things such as the Moorish arch (see pic 5) and the turkish bath whose roof attracted me.
Panorama from the balcony towards Minora
Favorite thing: There are times when touring that you arrive at places and, perhaps because you've seen the image a hundred times before, the gloss is taken off.
Villa Rufolo is not one of those places! No matter how many times you see images it does not fail to enchant.
The first time I visited the dreaded Eurohaze (as we photographers call it) hung about the coast but the next time it was a near perfect day and we felt blessed to be in such a spot on such a day.
Fondest memory: I hope the pictures reflect that sentiment. The flowers in bloom making tracks between historic buildings is something I find enchanting and I'm sure many others feel exactly the same way.
Nice place for a festival
Favorite thing: Villa Rufolo takes its name from an ancient family of Ravello, rich and powerful in the times of the Maritime Republic of Amalfi.
The villa suffered through carelessness and degradation until 1851 when the Scottish Francis Neville Reid bought it and brought it and revived its ancient splendor.
In 1880 Wagner, who stayed in the Villa for some time, remained astonished by the extraordinary glamour of the place and it was here he found the inspiration to compose the second act of the "Parsifal". From that time, the Villa continued to attract visitors and artists and personages as Jacqueline Kennedy and Hillary Clinton.
Fondest memory: The gardens of the villa set the scenery for the Ravello Festival. Performances of classic music and ballets of the highest level take place at night, with the orchestra playing on a stage hanging between the sky and the sea.
iandsmith's Related Pages
Ravello Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wonderful Ravello"
- "A Village of Incomparable Beauty"
- "I've made it to those famous photos of Ravello!"
- "guell's Ravello page"
- "Ravello - Easy Side Trip from Amalfi"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ravello
- Hotels in Ravello
- Transportation in Ravello
- Restaurants in Ravello
- Shopping in Ravello
- Warnings and Dangers in Ravello
- See All...
Explore the World
- Victoria Park Hotels
- Whitemarsh Island Hotels
- Daman Hotels
- Rangoon Hotels
Badges & Stats in Ravello
- 11 Reviews
- 38 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (92)
Have you been to Ravello?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ravello
Photos in RavelloSee All Photos (38)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 220 reviews, 527 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 140 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 151 reviews, 296 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 167 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 73 reviews, 183 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (118)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Ravello hotel reviews
- Hotel Caruso Ravello
- 268 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- Villa San Michele
- 277 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 6, 2013
- Hotel Parsifal
- 283 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Punta Civita
- 187 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 21, 2013
- Palazzo Sasso
- 343 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 1, 2013
- Villa Amore
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 21, 2013
- Hotel Bonadies
- 157 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 27, 2013
- Hotel Palumbo
- 73 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 15, 2013
- Hotel Rufolo
- 75 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013