"Once was famous" Top 5 Page for this destination Ravenna by iandsmith
Ravenna Travel Guide: 347 reviews and 1,029 photos
It was the reputation of what I thought was one church; then again, I hadn't taken much notice; that brought me to Ravenna. In the end I was pleasantly surprised and happened to walk straight into their first ever Mosaic festival.
One thing I admired was that their history is well documented and information was readily available.
We came upon this tower as we drove to our hotel. It wasn't until just before we left that I ducked out and walked up the road to get some pictures.
Eventually, thanks to the ever-so-helpful tourist information centre, I found out that this tower had six levels removed and was then braced before the levels were replaced. It's all in my tips now.
The first urban settlement which was later to become the city of Ravenna rose on a group of small islands, lapped by the sea, surrounded by marshes and to the northeast and to the south connected to a string of sand dunes.
With the passing of the centuries the continuous formation of alluvial deposit brought down by various branches of the River Po produced a new arc of dunes which marked the outer limit of the beach.
There are many legends concerning the origin of Ravenna but there are very few we can accept with any certainty: Dionigi D'Alicarnasso mentioned that the city was founded seven generations before the Trojan Wars while according to Strabo it was founded by the Thessalonians and Pliny called it the city of the Sabines.
In historical times the city was occupied by the Etruscans and this can be deduced from the fact that the suffix '- enna' in the name Ravenna seems typically Etruscan.
Another proof of the presence of this civilisation is the discovery in Ravenna of some objects clearly of Etruscan manufacture such as the votive bronzes and a statuette of a warrior dating perhaps from the end of the 6th century BC bearing an Etruscan inscription and now kept in the Antiquities Museum in Leida, Holland.
Historiography insists on the presence of Umbrians who in historical times pushed as far as the River Po.
- Pros:Easy to get around, compact, history, architecture
- In a nutshell:Small city with much history well worth a look
Extensive remains of a 15th century fort constructed when Ravenna was under Venetian rule occupy most of a public... more travel advice
The Neonian Bapistery (Battistero Neoniano, also known as the Battistero Ortodosso or Orthodox Baptistery) is an... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Ravenna Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Byzantine culture blended with Italian flavour!"
- "Ravenna, City of Mosaics"
- "The magic of the mosaics"
- "Once was famous"
- "Ravenna - A Byzantine Centre"
- "Basilica di Sant' Apollinare Nuovo"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Ravenna
- Hotels in Ravenna
- Transportation in Ravenna
- Nightlife in Ravenna
- Restaurants in Ravenna
- Shopping in Ravenna
- Warnings and Dangers in Ravenna
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Ravenna
- 21 Reviews
- 51 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (92)
Have you been to Ravenna?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Ravenna
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 220 reviews, 527 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 140 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 151 reviews, 296 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 167 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 73 reviews, 183 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (118)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Ravenna hotel reviews
- Jolly Hotel Ravenna
- 61 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 4, 2013
- Galla Placidia Bed and Breakfast
- 26 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 14, 2013
- Best Western Hotel Bisanzio Ravenna
- 40 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 13, 2013
- Villa Santa Maria in Foris
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Dante Youth Hostel
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 29, 2012
- Albergo Cappello
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 29, 2013
- Hotel Centrale Byron
- 92 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 19, 2013
- Hotel Minerva
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 4, 2013
- Casadelena Bed & Breakfast
- 9 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 8, 2012