"Once was famous" Top 5 Page for this destination Ravenna by iandsmith

Ravenna Travel Guide: 365 reviews and 1,126 photos

On the way

It was the reputation of what I thought was one church; then again, I hadn't taken much notice; that brought me to Ravenna. In the end I was pleasantly surprised and happened to walk straight into their first ever Mosaic festival.
One thing I admired was that their history is well documented and information was readily available.

The mystery

We came upon this tower as we drove to our hotel. It wasn't until just before we left that I ducked out and walked up the road to get some pictures.
Eventually, thanks to the ever-so-helpful tourist information centre, I found out that this tower had six levels removed and was then braced before the levels were replaced. It's all in my tips now.

A potted early history

The first urban settlement which was later to become the city of Ravenna rose on a group of small islands, lapped by the sea, surrounded by marshes and to the northeast and to the south connected to a string of sand dunes.
With the passing of the centuries the continuous formation of alluvial deposit brought down by various branches of the River Po produced a new arc of dunes which marked the outer limit of the beach.
There are many legends concerning the origin of Ravenna but there are very few we can accept with any certainty: Dionigi D'Alicarnasso mentioned that the city was founded seven generations before the Trojan Wars while according to Strabo it was founded by the Thessalonians and Pliny called it the city of the Sabines.
In historical times the city was occupied by the Etruscans and this can be deduced from the fact that the suffix '- enna' in the name Ravenna seems typically Etruscan.
Another proof of the presence of this civilisation is the discovery in Ravenna of some objects clearly of Etruscan manufacture such as the votive bronzes and a statuette of a warrior dating perhaps from the end of the 6th century BC bearing an Etruscan inscription and now kept in the Antiquities Museum in Leida, Holland.
Historiography insists on the presence of Umbrians who in historical times pushed as far as the River Po.

• Pros:Easy to get around, compact, history, architecture
  • In a nutshell:Small city with much history well worth a look
  • Last visit to Ravenna: Oct 2009
  • Intro Updated Dec 29, 2009

• magor65's Profile Photo
    Jul 31, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Great pages with fascinating historical background. I especially appreciate the story of Lord Byron as I haven't heard before about his connections with Ravenna.

• GentleSpirit's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2012 at 4:22 AM

Most impressive. You described the history and background so wonderfully. i had thought of combining Ravenna with a trip to Thessaloniki for Byzantine focused trip

• MM212's Profile Photo
    Mar 28, 2010 at 10:25 AM

Great page on the fascinating history of Ravenna. Considering going there in April. Cheers!

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Jan 14, 2010 at 5:11 AM

Another very impressive page. Loved the attention to the city's Baroque and later history too. Don't know when I'l get there but Ravenna is definitely on the agenda one day.

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Badges & Stats in Ravenna

Have you been to Ravenna?

Latest Activity in Ravenna