"Salo - a worthy stop" Top 5 Page for this destination Salò by iandsmith
Salò Travel Guide: 60 reviews and 192 photos
Thus it was, cruising down the western side of Lago di Garda, that I decided I had some spare time and it was time to stop. The town where I did this act was Salo. I ended up staying longer than I anticipated, without regret as it so happened.
In turn I drove up a hill, with no other reason than that advanced by Mallory at Mt. Everest - "Because it's there". And, "there" I found a little treasure trove of items, all within a few blocks of each other.
Chateaus, piazzas, gardens and the usual twisting narrow streets, not to mention the odd colourful house.
Some of Salo's history is well preserved, notably some of its gateways down by the bay. One thing I liked was the fact that they had some multi-lingual documentation explaining the history.
This one is the Carmine Gate dating from the 15th century, the only one remaining on the eastern side. It was restored in 1993.
Salo, in the province of Brescia, is on the western side of Lake Garda in the narrow Salò bay.
In 1943 it became the seat of the Italian Socialist Republican government and the last bastion of the Fascist dictatorship. In the 21st century it is a holiday destination for those who like the waterside and an excellent health resort. In the town you will find a late Gothic cathedral (15th century) with a fine Renaissance door dated at 1509, the sixteenth century Palazzo della Magnifica Patria which houses the Nastro Azzurro Museum (containing documents and other memorabilia of the Napoleonic era and the first World War) and the Ateneo of Salò (a sixteenth century seat of learning with an excellent library), and the modern Palazzo Comunale (town hall).
- Pros:Much to see, lovely location, good shopping
- Cons:Water and air pollution
- In a nutshell:Don't just stay by the lake, explore up the hill as well
The via I took up the hill to the municipal building had a rash of lovely upmarket type houses, no doubt holiday... more travel advice
This is the wonderful Porta Nuova. Originally known as the Porta della Rocca during the 19th century. Today it's known... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Salò Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The beautiful town of Salò"
- "Salo, last trip of Duce"
- "Salo - a worthy stop"
- "Salò Page"
- "Saturday Night Specials :-)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Salò
- Hotels in Salò
- Transportation in Salò
- Restaurants in Salò
- Shopping in Salò
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Salò
- 9 Reviews
- 11 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (268)
Have you been to Salò?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Salò
Photos in SalòSee All Photos (11)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 225 reviews, 552 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 136 reviews, 485 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 152 reviews, 383 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 76 reviews, 191 photos