"Salo - a worthy stop" Top 5 Page for this destination Salò by iandsmith

Salò Travel Guide: 60 reviews and 192 photos

A colourful place

Thus it was, cruising down the western side of Lago di Garda, that I decided I had some spare time and it was time to stop. The town where I did this act was Salo. I ended up staying longer than I anticipated, without regret as it so happened.
In turn I drove up a hill, with no other reason than that advanced by Mallory at Mt. Everest - "Because it's there". And, "there" I found a little treasure trove of items, all within a few blocks of each other.
Chateaus, piazzas, gardens and the usual twisting narrow streets, not to mention the odd colourful house.

Porta and the Fascists

Some of Salo's history is well preserved, notably some of its gateways down by the bay. One thing I liked was the fact that they had some multi-lingual documentation explaining the history.
This one is the Carmine Gate dating from the 15th century, the only one remaining on the eastern side. It was restored in 1993.
Salo, in the province of Brescia, is on the western side of Lake Garda in the narrow Salò bay.
In 1943 it became the seat of the Italian Socialist Republican government and the last bastion of the Fascist dictatorship. In the 21st century it is a holiday destination for those who like the waterside and an excellent health resort. In the town you will find a late Gothic cathedral (15th century) with a fine Renaissance door dated at 1509, the sixteenth century Palazzo della Magnifica Patria which houses the Nastro Azzurro Museum (containing documents and other memorabilia of the Napoleonic era and the first World War) and the Ateneo of Salò (a sixteenth century seat of learning with an excellent library), and the modern Palazzo Comunale (town hall).

• Pros:Much to see, lovely location, good shopping
  • Cons:Water and air pollution
  • In a nutshell:Don't just stay by the lake, explore up the hill as well
  • Last visit to Salò: Mar 2004
  • Intro Updated Apr 25, 2004

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo
    Aug 30, 2005 at 8:02 AM

The really narrow streets between buildings look so inviting. It is too bad that the water in the marina area is so polluted. An interesting peak at a town I have not heard of before.

• nicolettart's Profile Photo
    Jul 16, 2004 at 1:00 PM

I remember visiting Sirmione, and Malcesine, during my stay in Desenzano on Lake Garda. Loved it!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    May 21, 2004 at 11:33 PM

I was so looking forward to another beautiful Botanical Gardens; how sad that it was closed. Still, I did enjoy reading of your adventures here in Salo. Thanks for the lovely tour.

• craic's Profile Photo
    May 2, 2004 at 9:05 PM

Excellent. But I am sure it was Hilary not Mallory.

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Badges & Stats in Salò