"Keswick" Top 5 Page for this destination Keswick by iandsmith

Keswick Travel Guide: 143 reviews and 329 photos

Not another stone house

They're everywhere and so many of them look the same. Street after street of grey stone. There's a certain drabness about it but, it must be said, it makes a great backdrop for the numerous flower pots, painted window sills and occasional autumn leaves.
I remember looking down our street and thinking that, apart from the laundromat, I couldn't recall a single building that wasn't an accommodation house. Then again, after seeing what Keswick and surrounds has to offer, I can understand why tourists would want to go there.
Utterly inspired by fellow Vters Bigs (whose travelogue on Buttermere is one of the truly great photo shoots) and Steven Tilly's adventures I put it on my map. Three nights should be enough I thought, in the context of my trip and, it would have been, except for that Great Britain problem called "weather".

Scenery

Visiting Keswick though, you haven't come to look at the town. Tourists flock here by the hundreds of thousands to the Lake District National Park, just to walk and bathe in the splendour of it all.

• Pros:Great scenery, comfortable town, lots of side attractions within easy distance
  • Cons:Weather
  • In a nutshell:If you only stay in one town in the Lakes District, make it Keswick
  • Last visit to Keswick: Oct 2005
  • Intro Updated Dec 30, 2005

• tessy's Profile Photo
    Jan 1, 2006 at 1:03 PM

What a wonderful page! You take fantastic photos of the scnery. Scenery looks wonderful although weather was not the best! I'm really impressed.

• sandysmith's Profile Photo
    Dec 29, 2005 at 3:58 PM

hey did we pass in the street, just got back from here?! Well despite your weather you certainly got about nad snapped some fine shots

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Badges & Stats in Keswick

Have you been to Keswick?

Latest Activity in Keswick