"UDINE" Top 5 Page for this destination Udine by iandsmith

Udine Travel Guide: 112 reviews and 226 photos

Another town, another piazza

And don't I just love them! If I could import one thing from Italy to Australia it would be piazzas, Italian style.
Udine's population of around six figures makes for a town with a busy feel about it yet, when I was there, you still feel you can walk around without masses of people on the sidewalk.
One of the main attractions is the Piazza della Liberta, whose seductive pink hued Loggia del Lionello peeps above the wall in this shot taken of the Arco Bollani, a Palladio-designed gateway dating from 1556.
For some reason I couldn't find the tourist information centre and so I still lack a map which hindered me a little. I couldn't quite work out exactly where I was by referring to the billboard street maps either because the spot where I stood had invariably been erased by the touch of 10,000 fingers.
Despite these difficulties I enjoyed the place and its variety of architecture, its lovely shops in the cobblestone streets. I also pondered how, as a tourist, we forget about the bulk of the city outside the old one and highlight the medieval.
Consider how Prague would rate for instance if the old buildings weren't there. It would be one of the most drab places imaginable based on what I saw.
Udine however, had an upbeat note to it even entering from the north as I did.

• Pros:Active town, not overcrowded, some excellent architecture
  • Cons:Where is that tourist information centre?
  • In a nutshell:Worth a visit if you're in the area.
  • Last visit to Udine: Mar 2004
  • Intro Written Apr 5, 2004

• Maurizioago's Profile Photo
    Oct 20, 2009 at 3:14 AM

I have to re visit Udine. Ciao!

• sachara's Profile Photo
    Nov 12, 2006 at 5:58 AM

Ian, thanks for showing me these lovely pictures of Udine. My Italian friend lived here during the first period of his military service. He sent me letters, but no pictures or postcards.

• hundwalder's Profile Photo
    Aug 4, 2005 at 6:20 PM

More outstanding pages. Thanks for showing me some of the places I had insufficient time to visit during my NE Italia adventure.

• mapakettle's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2005 at 2:43 AM

Good morning Ian. Udine is one place that we appear to have overlooked. We shall remedy that oversight upon our return from Germany in a few weeks. Thanks for sharing. Pa

• JLBG's Profile Photo
    Sep 4, 2004 at 10:49 PM

I have often driven 'not far from' Udine but never got time for a visit. I will. Thank you for showing what to expect ! I will try to find the tourist office and a geological explanation for the hill !

• barrikello's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2004 at 3:27 PM

Never been to Udine but your job is really good. Pro pictures and stylish comments. Congrats.

• Henrik_rrb's Profile Photo
    May 14, 2004 at 6:42 AM

Hi Ian! Nice Udine-page! Seems like you fell harder for the town than I did, lucky for both you and the town! :) Keep up the good work! /Henrik

• montezaro's Profile Photo
    Apr 26, 2004 at 9:31 AM

dunno why is Udine so underrated destination

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Apr 12, 2004 at 5:31 PM

What a delightful Italian town with its lovely piazza. I agree with you, piazzas (Italian style) need to me imported. Thanks for a grand tour.

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Badges & Stats in Udine