"UDINE" Top 5 Page for this destination Udine by iandsmith
Udine Travel Guide: 111 reviews and 225 photos
And don't I just love them! If I could import one thing from Italy to Australia it would be piazzas, Italian style.
Udine's population of around six figures makes for a town with a busy feel about it yet, when I was there, you still feel you can walk around without masses of people on the sidewalk.
One of the main attractions is the Piazza della Liberta, whose seductive pink hued Loggia del Lionello peeps above the wall in this shot taken of the Arco Bollani, a Palladio-designed gateway dating from 1556.
For some reason I couldn't find the tourist information centre and so I still lack a map which hindered me a little. I couldn't quite work out exactly where I was by referring to the billboard street maps either because the spot where I stood had invariably been erased by the touch of 10,000 fingers.
Despite these difficulties I enjoyed the place and its variety of architecture, its lovely shops in the cobblestone streets. I also pondered how, as a tourist, we forget about the bulk of the city outside the old one and highlight the medieval.
Consider how Prague would rate for instance if the old buildings weren't there. It would be one of the most drab places imaginable based on what I saw.
Udine however, had an upbeat note to it even entering from the north as I did.
- Pros:Active town, not overcrowded, some excellent architecture
- Cons:Where is that tourist information centre?
- In a nutshell:Worth a visit if you're in the area.
Like most Italian churches, the Duomo has some wonderful frescoes, paintings and objet d'art. This fine work of the... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Udine Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Udine: between Venezia and Wien"
- "Henrik's Udine-page"
- "Hart of Friuli Venezia Giulia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Udine
- Hotels in Udine
- Transportation in Udine
- Nightlife in Udine
- Restaurants in Udine
- Shopping in Udine
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Udine
- 12 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 9 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (92)
Have you been to Udine?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Udine
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 219 reviews, 518 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 138 reviews, 323 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 151 reviews, 296 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 87 reviews, 254 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 167 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 94 reviews, 153 photos, 3 travelogues
FriendsSee All Friends (112)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Udine hotel reviews
- Holiday Inn Express Udine North
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 2, 2013
- Hotel Ramandolo
- 7 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 6, 2012
- Hotel Cristallo
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Apr 28, 2013
- Best Western Hotel La Di Moret
- 11 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 5, 2012
- Art Hotel Udine
- 4 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Feb 22, 2013