"Hello Palladio, looking for Tiepolo, and finding!" Top 5 Page for this destination Vicenza by iandsmith
Vicenza Travel Guide: 314 reviews and 856 photos
As usual, I got lost trying to find my accommodation. The night, the rainy weather, the traffic, all served to confuse me. The fact I'd passed within 50 metres of it at least four times was irrelevant!
Eventually I found it, a B&B hosted by Bob the American expat and his Asian lady. In and out of numerous doors, for which I eventually had enough keys, and one of them proved to be the portal to my room.
Vicenza wasn't quite the layout I expected. Then again, visions formed in one's mind of people and places before seeing them are apt to be considerably flawed.
The central heating soon thawed me out of the almost numbing cold that was apparent outside and I settled in amongst the numerous books that Bob had accumulated. Being an avid reader this was a plus.
Bob pointed me in the direction of a local trattoria which turned out to be a wonderful choice with good food and plenty of atmosphere and I slept well that night before I awoke the next morning to see the snows still falling.
Trudging my way with an exhilerating expectancy up the hill I came upon the Villa Valmarana ai Nani. I had hoped to visit it later in the day but, like most of Italy, it was closed till the end of the week so my hoped-for viewing of the famous Tiepolo frescoes would have to wait.
I then turned back on the Via San Bastiano and headed towards the Basilica di Monte Berico. As I approached the town of Vicenza lay below me, shrouded in smog and haze, atop which sat the cloud bank.
I made fresh footprints in the soft white snow wherever I walked. To be up around 7.30am on this type of day is a treat. Little traffic disturbs the peace and your mind can wander in extraordinary directions, as can your feet as I soon went back for breakfast before I headed off for my day in this proud town.
(The statue represents Mercury, the messenger of the gods; this statue is above the main post office building and it was built during the Fascismo age in the Twenties. That kind of sword is one of the symbols of Mercury, as you can see in every image of the classical age.)
My accommodation was at the base of Monte Berico, atop which sits the Basilica and its amazing arcade that links the city to its soul if you chose to believe the Christian hype. The covered walkway at times has a fresco, at other times a nave with lit candle inside. I'd never seen anything like it before in my life. At the bottom you go over to the city proper, through an ancient portal if you're lucky enough. It is there that Palladio abounds and it doesn't matter where you walk in this wonderful town, the architecture will enchant you. Please enjoy.
(If you want more details than I have, I recommend Croisbeauty's pages)
In 2009, I came again, this time seeing what I had missed previously. I've added those tips; you can clearly see which ones by the change in weather!
- Pros:Palladio, Tiepolo, easy to get around
- In a nutshell:Probably the best architecture per square kilometre you'll find anywhere
Andrea di Pietro della Gondola, known to history as "Palladio," was born in 1508 in Padua, a mainland possession of the... more travel advice
Piazza dei Signori, that's where it happens. What day? Haven't got a clue, I just happened to stumble upon them the day... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Vicenza Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "VICENZA - Andrea Palladio's town"
- "Vicenza - "Venezia on terra firma""
- "Build Well with Palladio touch"
- "Hello Palladio, looking for Tiepolo, and finding!"
- "Citta Del Palladio"
- "Vicenza, Citta di Palladio"
- "Vicenza; home of Palladio and his architecture"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Vicenza
- Hotels in Vicenza
- Transportation in Vicenza
- Nightlife in Vicenza
- Restaurants in Vicenza
- Shopping in Vicenza
- Warnings and Dangers in Vicenza
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Vicenza
- 34 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 11 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (92)
Have you been to Vicenza?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Vicenza
- Posted in Travel Gold Coast Forum "Re: Leaving tomorrow- Need help..."
- Commented on one of Basaic's Vicenza travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Around the world"
- updated a Vicenza Travel Page "Hello Palladio, looking for Tiepolo, and finding!"
- Wrote a Review From a Gondola to an architect of world renown in Vicenza Favorites
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 220 reviews, 527 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 140 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 151 reviews, 296 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 167 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 73 reviews, 183 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (118)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Vicenza hotel reviews
- Europa Hotel Vicenza
- 5 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 4, 2013
- Hotel Villa Michelangelo
- 27 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 22, 2013
- Continental Hotel
- 119 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 2, 2013
- Hotel Due Mori
- 29 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 29, 2013
- 1 Review & Opinion
- Hotel Da Porto
- 16 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 8, 2013
- 13 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Jul 26, 2013
- Boscolo De La Ville
- 46 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Oct 29, 2013
- Viest Hotel Vicenza
- 32 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 9, 2013
- Hotel Victoria Residence
- 34 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 11, 2013