"One of the world's great places" Vigo di Fassa by iandsmith

Vigo di Fassa Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 17 photos

Italy's number one spot you should visit

I'm not specifically referring to Vigo di Fassa of course, it's the Dolomites per se that drag me north every year.
Getting up close and personal with places like Catinaccio Rosengarten, Sass Pordoi and Marmolada aren't things you forget in a hurry.
One of the world's most stunning mountain ranges is virtually ignored by English speaking people. If you haven't brushed up on your German or Italian (or you never had it to brush up on like me) you could find yourself without good conversation for days on end.
Understandably that didn't deter me, I was there to converse with nature, not people, though a chat would have been lovely.
This time I went specifically to ski for a couple of days and take photos the other. Sounded good in theory but how can you find yourself in a place such as this and not take pictures continually.

• Pros:Mountain vistas personified, great skifields
  • In a nutshell:stunning scenery, stunning scenery, stunning scenery, oh, and great skiing, mountain climbing and hiking!
  • Last visit to Vigo di Fassa: Mar 2004
  • Intro Written May 16, 2004

• ray_d's Profile Photo
    Nov 9, 2006 at 11:51 AM

Soon I will be no more than 200 km away. I shall remember your tips :o)

• mtncorg's Profile Photo
    Dec 30, 2004 at 3:36 PM

Off piste always makes for better stories! ;-] Nice to see the Rosengarten in the Winter, grazie!

• KristaB's Profile Photo
    Dec 1, 2004 at 10:31 AM

What a funny skiing thriller LOL! We had to run like crazy (in ski-boots of course, skis on our shoulders) over Passo Pordoi, and ski down fast to catch the last connection once. Thank you for visting my Dolomiti page!

• sandysmith's Profile Photo
    Sep 5, 2004 at 5:14 AM

Quite an adventure to come down Pass Pordoi - think I'll stick to summer AND use the cable -cars!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2004 at 8:50 PM

Even though I don't ski, I enjoyed reading about your adventures and motivational speech. I have seen the Dolomites and understand the attraction.

• keeweechic's Profile Photo
    Jul 27, 2004 at 8:24 PM

These guys have to maintain a gondola while its moving?? Quite a story..lol Damm you are daring...:-) Well done though. The Dolomites are gorgeous.

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Jun 7, 2004 at 6:44 AM

Fantastic photos & just gr8 travel stories Ian. If you need a ski buddy to go back there again with then give me a yell as I'd love to ski the Dolomites (well the intermediate slopes anyway!).

• Azhut's Profile Photo
    May 29, 2004 at 12:14 AM

Col rodella and Canzei, was there last summer and I have been there almost 7 times lol :-)

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Badges & Stats in Vigo di Fassa

Have you been to Vigo di Fassa?

Latest Activity in Vigo di Fassa