"Lake Taupo, water, water and more water" Top 5 Page for this destination Lake Taupo by iandsmith

Lake Taupo Travel Guide: 112 reviews and 278 photos

Somewhere......beyond the clouds

I had looked at the maps and had a vision. I had this vision of a snow clad mountain reflected in the water. It would be a photographer's dream. I also realised that said mountain was a long way away, but that didn't matter, it would be magnificient anyway.
I waited for days. In fact, it was the fifth day of our week before we got a worthwhile glimpse.
Despite its distance, the mountain was still impressive, if not reflective, and acted like a magnet to me. I had to go ski it, just to say I'd been there because, in reality, I was as sick as a dog with some virus that had waylaid me on day two and from which I was still recovering.
That's one thing I'll always remember about my trip to Taupo.

• Pros:Heaps of accommodation, restaurants, nice lake, nice parks
  • Cons:Very touristy
  • In a nutshell:I enjoyed my stay when I wasn't sick but a week would do me
  • Last visit to Lake Taupo: Aug 2007
  • Intro Updated Mar 2, 2011

• Mar 2, 2011 at 6:37 PM

hahaha liked your no name mentioned restaurant tip! one thing that strikes me about NZ, coming from brown perth, is how green it is! i would like to get to nz myself one day. nice work ian.

• toonsarah's Profile Photo
    Jul 13, 2008 at 12:09 PM

Fantastic photos - beautiful light and wonderful details. I loved "Close up of a fence" in particular. I enjoyed your account of gliding too, including the communications breakdown ;)

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Oct 7, 2007 at 10:38 PM

I must get to the North Island one of these days,so far all my NZ travelling has been in the south - think I'l give the skiing a miss though!! Always good to read your adventures, Ian. leyle

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Oct 2, 2007 at 4:19 PM

Ian, you certainly are an adveturer! From the [in my estimation] dangerous ski adventure and the "loop de loop" plane ride, you must enjoy danger. Very diversified and educational page which I enjoyed.

• Darby2's Profile Photo
    Sep 18, 2007 at 6:43 PM

Huka Falls can't hold a candle to Helmcken Falls in Wells-Gray Park, British Columbia.

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Badges & Stats in Lake Taupo

Have you been to Lake Taupo?