"Armidale - a centre for learning and gorges" Armidale by iandsmith
Armidale Travel Guide: 59 reviews and 139 photos
Situated in the middle of the New England Range Armidale has a lot to offer tourists though, until fairly recently, most people just breezed through, blissfully unaware of the attractions that lay both in the town and nearby.
Noted for its finishing schools and university that have kept the town vibrant while other rural towns have declined, it also offers some of Australia's best natural attractions, generally labelled "The Gorge Country". The Oxley Wild Rivers National Park, larger than some European countries, is a plateau that has been dramatically eroded over millions of years until today there are many places on the escarpment where you can gaze into the serene wilderness to the Macleay River catchment far below. Some of the waterfalls are among the longest drops in Australia, notably Wollomombi and Chandler.
It is an area that offers excellent bushwalking for the dedicated hiker but, for the more leisurely you can stay at one of the many farm stays in the area and perhaps go for a horse ride.
The town itself has generous plantings of deciduous trees so autumn is always a colourful time to visit.
My job allows me to spend some time in the area yet I feel I have hardly scratched the surface of what it has to offer - but I'm working on it!
Oh, and did I mention, it's a nice place for sunsets as well......
- Pros:Heaps to see, great bushwalks, lots of accommodation
- Cons:Can get cold in winter
- In a nutshell:More than just a stop between Sydney and Brisbane
In the New England National Park there are many places to walk and sights to see. This is one of the less visited. If... more travel advice
To visit Woolpack Rocks you travel on the Ebor-Guyra Road before turning off onto the road to Native Dog Creek Rest... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Armidale Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Armidale - a centre for learning and gorges"
- "Armidale ...and me"
- "Bicycling Touring Australia - NSW"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Armidale
- Hotels in Armidale
- Nightlife in Armidale
- Restaurants in Armidale
- Shopping in Armidale
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Armidale
- 45 Reviews
- 108 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 6 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (92)
Have you been to Armidale?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Armidale
Photos in ArmidaleSee All Photos (108)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 220 reviews, 527 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 141 reviews, 334 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 151 reviews, 296 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 167 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 73 reviews, 183 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (118)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Armidale hotel reviews
- Quality Hotel Powerhouse Armidale
- 147 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 17, 2013
- Best Western Cotswold Gardens
- 33 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Aug 26, 2013
- White Lanterns Motel
- 25 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Nov 25, 2013
- Best Western Moore Park Inn
- 51 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Dec 12, 2013
- Best Western Abbotsleigh Motor Inn
- 39 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: Sep 29, 2013