"Bathurst - is there something else other than cars" Top 5 Page for this destination Bathurst by iandsmith
Bathurst Travel Guide: 77 reviews and 259 photos
The thought crossed my mind that the three major Australian gold mining towns of the past all had names starting with "B", the other two being Bendigo and Ballarat in Victoria.
The reason for Bathurst's being still has resonance today in the stylish architecture and nearby villages that still flaunt their gold enriched heritage, such as Hill End and Sofala.
When I think of Bathurst though, I have to admit that Mount Panorama, arguably the world's greatest racing car track, always comes to mind. I can claim to have seen Jack Brabham race around there in an Australian Grand Prix, how long ago I don't even want to think about. Suffice it to say that I returned, some years ago now, thinking to watch the motorbikes go around, and the roar of the engines as they screamed up Mountain Straight made my hairs stand on end. There's simply nothing quite like it.
I also think of Bathurst in terms of spacious streets and parks, a well laid out town that would be pleasant to live in and is certainly pleasant to visit.
- Pros:Lovely architecture, lovely parks, lovely race track
- In a nutshell:Consider going for reasons other than the great race
Of all the old gold mining towns in New South Wales Sofala is one of the most interesting and unusual. Its cousin down... more travel advice
Bathurst's Parks and sporting facilities are well known throughout the region and beyond. The historic Machattie Park... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Bathurst Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "BEAUTIFUL - HISTORIC - BATHURST"
- "Bathurst 1000 : Cars, Races & great architecture"
- "Bathurst - is there something else other than cars"
- "More than Mount Panorama"
- "Bathurst....the town full of life"
- "Bathurst 1000"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Bathurst
- Hotels in Bathurst
- Transportation in Bathurst
- Nightlife in Bathurst
- Restaurants in Bathurst
- Shopping in Bathurst
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bathurst
- 6 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (268)
Have you been to Bathurst?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bathurst
- Posted in Travel Germany Forum "Re: Itinerary question 1 week..."
- Wrote a Review The gold that built Bathurst in Bathurst Off The Beaten Path
- Uploaded a Photo to "The gold that built Bathurst"
- updated a Bathurst Travel Page "Bathurst - is there something else other than cars"
- Commented on one of phoebelosophy's Bathurst travel pages
Photos in BathurstSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 225 reviews, 552 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 136 reviews, 485 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 150 reviews, 380 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 76 reviews, 191 photos