"Bathurst - is there something else other than cars" Top 5 Page for this destination Bathurst by iandsmith

Bathurst Travel Guide: 77 reviews and 259 photos

Thars gold in them thar hills

The thought crossed my mind that the three major Australian gold mining towns of the past all had names starting with "B", the other two being Bendigo and Ballarat in Victoria.
The reason for Bathurst's being still has resonance today in the stylish architecture and nearby villages that still flaunt their gold enriched heritage, such as Hill End and Sofala.
When I think of Bathurst though, I have to admit that Mount Panorama, arguably the world's greatest racing car track, always comes to mind. I can claim to have seen Jack Brabham race around there in an Australian Grand Prix, how long ago I don't even want to think about. Suffice it to say that I returned, some years ago now, thinking to watch the motorbikes go around, and the roar of the engines as they screamed up Mountain Straight made my hairs stand on end. There's simply nothing quite like it.
I also think of Bathurst in terms of spacious streets and parks, a well laid out town that would be pleasant to live in and is certainly pleasant to visit.

• Pros:Lovely architecture, lovely parks, lovely race track
  • In a nutshell:Consider going for reasons other than the great race
  • Last visit to Bathurst: Feb 2006
  • Intro Updated Feb 7, 2006

• BruceDunning's Profile Photo
    Jun 14, 2013 at 2:05 PM

The name is famous and this building still stands strong after many decades. Nice comments

• ranger49's Profile Photo
    Aug 27, 2012 at 1:10 AM

I'm no fan of car or bike racing but I would certainly love to see this town and all the other things it has to offer. Great information !

• tiabunna's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2008 at 4:28 PM

Enjoyable page, Ian. It reminds me that we've often promised ourselves we'll spend a little time poking around that area - must do it!

• ATXtraveler's Profile Photo
    Sep 10, 2006 at 4:56 AM

Great tips... after reading your home page, I noticed no NT sites rate... I am in Darwin now and Kakadu is unbelievable.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Feb 17, 2006 at 11:04 AM

Another quality page, Ian. It's good, I feel, to return to somewhere you've been years later to reflect on its changes as well as your own. Great architecture.

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Badges & Stats in Bathurst

Have you been to Bathurst?