"Beechworth - another "B" of a town" Top 5 Page for this destination Beechworth by iandsmith
Beechworth Travel Guide: 51 reviews and 134 photos
It's a bit hard to avoid the name Kelly in Beechworth. This is the area where Australia's most notorious bushranger roamed with his gang and, like Mozart in Vienna, when you're on a good thing, run with it.
Even in the back streets I couldn't avoid it. I noticed this delightful two storey residence and took a snap then noticed the name on the gate - Kelly.
The town has the cell where Kelly was held for his first offence when he was only 16 and also his final trial for the murder at Glenrowan, now consigned to folklore and 3 movies (one starring Mick Jagger but we'd all like to forget that one).
The reason he would venture into a town like this is pretty much why people move anywhere - money. It is one of the famed gold towns of the 19th century and, along with Ballarat and Bendigo, form a triumvirate of wonderful towns that have preserved their heritage and whose name begins with "B". Though there are many other nice towns of similar heritage, I believe these are the best and any trip to Australia will be incomplete unless you've seen at least one of them.
Originally the area was named Mayday Hills and was grazed by a settler named David Reid. However, after gold was discovered by a shepherd in February 1852, over 8,000 miners were in the area before year's end. In consequence, the town changed from a canvas tent city to a timber settlement with the arrival of miners' families and businesses to support the growing community. The town was renamed Beechworth in 1853 and become a major commercial centre for the Ovens Goldfields. Between 1852 and 1866 four million ounces (115 tonnes) of gold was recovered from the creeks of the area. It was reported that during these early years the population grew to 42, 000 and boasted 61 hotels. A few of these magnificent buildings and many of the abandoned mine workings still remain today, to be visited and explored.
The legend of bush ranger Harry Power (real name Harry Johnstone) is an especially interesting one. Said to have been well-dressed and usually a 'gentleman' he was not given to violent crime (although the threat was there) and was a 'mature age' bush ranger; in his 50's at the time he was most notorious.
Power had been transported to Van Diemen's Land in 1841 for stealing shoes. In 1855 he is believed to have shot a police trooper and in 1856, while serving time in prison, was accused of the murder of a guard. He reappeared again in February, 1864, charged at Beechworth for horse stealing. In 1869 he escaped from Pentridge and became on of the most notorious and active bush rangers in the Mansfield, Bright, Beechworth and Seymour areas, robbing travellers and mail coaches. He gained a reputation for being a 'good humoured' bush ranger, and had his share of supporters, including the Kelly family. In fact, it is suggested that in 1870 young Ned was recruited as his 'apprentice'. There are rumours, however, that Ned actually gave information on his whereabouts to the police and was subsequently given some reward payments. Harry was transferred to Beechworth where he was tried on three counts of Robbery Under Arms and returned to Pentridge, serving out his full sentence.
He was released in 1885, aged 66. After his release he was employed as a Guide on the old prison hulk Success which he had known as a convict. He moved to Swan Hill where he enjoyed considerable notoriety.
- Pros:Much history, scenic, good accommodation choices, classic pie shop
- Cons:Hot in summer
- In a nutshell:Excellent tourist town
I could have spent a lot more time (and money) in here than I did. This is one of those gems where you walk in and, who... more travel advice
Strolling beneath the elms on a balmy spring day, what could be nicer? I'd like to say I did that but, honesty prevails,... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Beechworth Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Beechworth - another "B" of a town"
- "Beechworth & Surrounds"
- "Lovely Little Beechworth"
- "Bicycling Touring Australia - Victoria"
- "BEECHWORTH..A BEAUTIFUL VICTORIAN TOWN.."
- "Beechworth VIC Australia"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Beechworth
- Hotels in Beechworth
- Restaurants in Beechworth
- Warnings and Dangers in Beechworth
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Beechworth
- 20 Reviews
- 45 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (94)
Have you been to Beechworth?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Beechworth
- Posted in Travel Cairns Forum "Re: budget and activities ."
- Commented on one of Intrepidduck's Beechworth travel pages
- Uploaded a Photo to "Beechworth - another "B" of a town"
- updated a Beechworth Travel Page "Beechworth - another "B" of a town"
- Wrote a Review Buckland Gallery in Beechworth Things to Do
Photos in BeechworthSee All Photos (45)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 222 reviews, 537 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 149 reviews, 376 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 47 reviews, 218 photos