Benalla Favorite Tips by iandsmith
Benalla Favorites: 2 reviews and 4 photos
The modernistic art gallery
Favorite thing: The striking modern building set over the waters was completed in 1975 and houses a fine eclectic body of work that attracts around 80,000 visitors annually.
It's well laid out and the works are well displayed.
(If you're wondering why the colour is strange in the photo it's because my camera was on the wrong settings.)
Fondest memory: It features many 19th century landscapes by various well known Australian (or new Australian) artists who were coming to terms with the different natural light and natural flora and fauna of Australia. Many of these come from the private Ledger Collection.
Overall, the gallery includes a selection of modern and contemporary art in a variety of media, which includes painting, prints, works on paper, textiles, ceramics and sculpture.
On display is a tapestry of Sidney Nolan’s ‘Glenrowan’, from his Ned Kelly series. Following the 2002 bushfires, artist Rick Amor was commissioned to create a work which responded to the blackened landscape. The result, ‘The Arc - aftermath of bushfires in the North East’ is a record of the tragedy of the fires, and an affirmation of nature’s powers of regeneration. It's a thought provoking work shall we say.
Panoramic view of about half the sculpture
Favorite thing: I pulled up and couldn't help but notice this significant bit of sculpture sitting beside the museum and the water. As you cross the bridge it is definitely a standout.
Fondest memory: The ceramic mural is a work of community. While Judy Lorraine was appointed as artist-in-residence the whole project was supported by the three levels of government. David N. Moore was project co-ordinator, not to be confused with David W. Moore as Education Officer during the planning stages. For over 20 years David W. and Judy remained committed to the mural and contributors included many significant artists, over 1,000 students and many volunteers.
It was officially opened in 2010 by local mayor, Bill Hill.
More Reviews (4)
iandsmith's Related Pages
Benalla Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Benalla, on the Melb-Syd inland highway"
- "BENALLA ...VICTORIA.."
- See All...
Explore the World
- San Pablo Hotels
- Syros Island Hotels
- Gulberg Hotels
- San Pawl il-Bahar Hotels
- Nanoose Bay
- Santa Maria di Castellabate
Badges & Stats in Benalla
- 6 Reviews
- 13 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (92)
Have you been to Benalla?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Benalla
Photos in BenallaSee All Photos (13)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 220 reviews, 527 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 141 reviews, 334 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 151 reviews, 296 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 167 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 73 reviews, 183 photos