"Surviving on the tourist trail" Bingara by iandsmith

Bingara Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 54 photos

By the Gwydir

Bingara is one of those country towns spaced at a day's coach travel length from the next nearest towns.
That was fine until someone invented the motorcar and then someone else invented good roads. While farming was labour intensive all was well, but after WWII mechanization came to the farms, properties became larger, rural towns declined.
Some went meekly, some reinvented themselves. Bingara was suffering until the tourist bus came. The Oz Explorer bus now brings tourist through regularly from overseas for their "rural Australia" experience. Here they do their horse riding and spend a night in a country pub.
All this activity serves to awaken the locals to what they might have in the area and a different attitude prevails.
Thus Bingara, on the banks of the beautiful Gwydir River, is showing slight signs that it's not going to die without a fight and, if I can do my bit, well and good.
It's only a small town on a road called by the cynical "Poverty Way" due to the decline of towns along the route but, apart from getting booked for speeding by police one Melbourne Cup day, I have fond memories of the place.
It has all the shops you need for essentials and, within comfortable driving distance, there are some lovely scenic attractions such as Copetoun Dam, the Nandewar Ranges and MacIntyre Falls.

• Pros:Nice location, good base for day trips, good place to sample rural Australia
  • Cons:A bit out of the way.
  • In a nutshell:Nice place if you have some time to spare
  • Last visit to Bingara: Jun 2004
  • Intro Written Jun 27, 2004

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo
    Sep 23, 2008 at 6:59 PM

The Sawn Rocks looks really interesting, and the river sounds like a great place to sit with a pair of binoculars. It is always interesting to read about places I have never even heard about.

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Apr 14, 2008 at 9:42 PM

The rural atmosphere is delightful. I especially found the Sawn Rocks fascinating. Since I love to fish [whether I catch anything or not], I also enjoyed your description of the river and your fishing escapade.

• richiecdisc's Profile Photo
    Jan 15, 2006 at 3:38 AM

I may not be an Aussie, Ian, but scenes like this remind me that I once thought of moving there! Have to come back for an up to date beer tour sometime. ;)

• Goner's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2004 at 9:51 PM

Reminds me of the lost little towns along our US Route 66, beauty that most vistors miss.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Aug 26, 2004 at 4:03 PM

Well, great rural sceneries and the river looks great on your picture :-)

• herzog63's Profile Photo
    Jul 22, 2004 at 11:18 PM

This looks like my kind of place!! I'm a country bumpkin so I like Rural Scenes the best!!

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Jul 18, 2004 at 5:29 AM

After working with Bingara Central School at the Moree LARK workshop it's gr8 to find your Bingara page Ian. Bet there aren't any other VT pages about it.

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Badges & Stats in Bingara

Have you been to Bingara?

Latest Activity in Bingara