"Surviving on the tourist trail" Bingara by iandsmith
Bingara Travel Guide: 14 reviews and 54 photos
Bingara is one of those country towns spaced at a day's coach travel length from the next nearest towns.
That was fine until someone invented the motorcar and then someone else invented good roads. While farming was labour intensive all was well, but after WWII mechanization came to the farms, properties became larger, rural towns declined.
Some went meekly, some reinvented themselves. Bingara was suffering until the tourist bus came. The Oz Explorer bus now brings tourist through regularly from overseas for their "rural Australia" experience. Here they do their horse riding and spend a night in a country pub.
All this activity serves to awaken the locals to what they might have in the area and a different attitude prevails.
Thus Bingara, on the banks of the beautiful Gwydir River, is showing slight signs that it's not going to die without a fight and, if I can do my bit, well and good.
It's only a small town on a road called by the cynical "Poverty Way" due to the decline of towns along the route but, apart from getting booked for speeding by police one Melbourne Cup day, I have fond memories of the place.
It has all the shops you need for essentials and, within comfortable driving distance, there are some lovely scenic attractions such as Copetoun Dam, the Nandewar Ranges and MacIntyre Falls.
- Pros:Nice location, good base for day trips, good place to sample rural Australia
- Cons:A bit out of the way.
- In a nutshell:Nice place if you have some time to spare
I know, it's just another excuse to show you a picture of the Gwydir River. Still, I thought you might like it. I went... more travel advice
The reason for Bingara being where it is is due to primary industry, plus the fact it would have been a coach stop away... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Bingara Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HISTORIC GOLD MINING TOWN"
- "Surviving on the tourist trail"
- "BINGARA - Gem of the New England"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Bingara
- 5 Reviews
- 6 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 7 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (96)
Have you been to Bingara?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Bingara
Photos in BingaraSee All Photos (6)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 225 reviews, 552 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 150 reviews, 380 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 76 reviews, 191 photos