"Why you're here" Blackheath by iandsmith
Blackheath Travel Guide: 18 reviews and 65 photos
Let's be frank here, the majority of people come to see the view from Govetts Leap (an old Scottish word meaning cascade or fall) and/or walk the Grand Canyon.
And let's be even more frank, when I first visited that's what my dad took me to see.
When you finally have the time though, there is so much more to do. The walk down Rodriguez Steps is inspirational, Pulpit Rock is amazing, Popes Glen is worth a look and the walk from Evans Lookout to Pulpit Rock affords some of the finest views in the whole Blue Mountains.
Then there's the other side where you can descend into the Megalong Valley for a different take on the area or head down the road a little to Victoria Falls, a tough but exhilerating exercise to one of the great cascades in the Blue Mountains.
Sitated 114 km from Sydney and around 1064 metres above sea level, Blackheath (population over 4,000) is one of the more substantial and interesting settlements in the upper Blue Mountains.
It was first named by Governor Macquarie who, while heading on his way to the new settlement at Bathurst, declared 'it having a rather wild heath-like appearance, I have named it Hounslow.' On his return sixteen days later he had a change of mind and on 15 May 1815 he wrote in his diary 'This place having a black wild appearance I have this day named it Black-heath. It affords however plenty of good water for man and beast and tolerable good feed for the latter.'
Today the town is famous for its legendary rhododendron displays, the magnificent northerly views at Govett's Leap, bushwalks around the edges of the Grose Valley and the range of expensive and classy Guest Houses which have become part of the town's appeal to Sydneysiders.
- Pros:Quieter than other places, lots to see, home to NPWS
- In a nutshell:Love the place
I’d viewed a photograph once, a lovely panorama of the Nepalese foothills, and in the caption it cautioned to always... more travel advice
If you're in the Mount Victoria area, then here's a walk for you. "Coming from Sydney go through the traffic lights at... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Blackheath Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Why you're here"
- "Blackheath in the Blue Mountains"
- "Blackheath the highest town in the Blue Mountains"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Blackheath
- 16 Reviews
- 61 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (95)
Have you been to Blackheath?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Blackheath
Photos in BlackheathSee All Photos (61)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 222 reviews, 537 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 150 reviews, 380 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 47 reviews, 218 photos