"In the Valleys" Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park by iandsmith
Blue Mountains National Park Travel Guide: 360 reviews and 1,128 photos
In the tourist brochures and everywhere you see literature, the Three Sisters are what you get, along with the Skyway and the Scenic Railway (recommended), the latter happening to be the steepest in the world at 52 degrees of incline and a bit of a thrill. However, they generally miss the point of this wonderland. The point being nature. Until you put on your walking shoes and descend into the canyons, don't go back home and say "We saw the Blue Mountains" because you'll have no idea what they're really about. Down in the valleys with the cliffs towering above you, the splashing of the dripping water, the wonderful forest plants and lyrebirds singing all around you; it's a different world, so at odds with those peering down from above. It's the whole reason the area was declared a national park in the first place.
This place pictured is called, understandably, Narrowneck, and on the side you can't see here, there is a stairway called the Golden Staircase that leads to at least three good day walks.
I hope with some of my pictures to give you some insight, particularly in the travelogue - please enjoy.
Photography is generally best practised one hour before to one hour after sunrise and the same for sunsets.
My personal opinion re the Blue Mountains is that the mornings can be spectacular more often than the afternoons. They reward the early riser.
On my first morning on a long weekend in 2005 I just managed to get out of bed in time and race down the road to eventually find a place where I could score this one in the back blocks of Wentworth Falls.
However, they also, in other parts, get the rising mist out of the canyons, one of nature's most wonderful spectacles. You can see that in my pages.
The Blue Mountains has other faces, those rarely seen by international tourists or most Australians. It is spectacular and has more to offer those interested in nature than the more popular areas.
Kanangra Walls, Dunns Swamp, Newnes and Glen Davis are but four of the places worthy of your time, the latter two have a fascinating history of shale mining that add value to the trip, Glen Davis in particular.
I have pages on those two locations in their own right.
- Pros:Easy to get to, worthwhile when you do, range of scenery
- Cons:Involves walking if you really want to understand
- In a nutshell:Put it on your "must see" list of Australia
Seemed a shame to waste all my pictures so I thought I'd throw in a few more, mainly because nobody reads... more travel advice
At the western end of Mount Victoria is a turnoff on the left into Grand View Rd. Near its end you'll come to Beaufort... more travel advice
- See All Bird watching
- BE CAREFUL!!!
- See All Golf in the gully
- See All Atmosphere and Food
iandsmith's Related Pages
Blue Mountains National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "In the Valleys"
- "Check out if they are BLUE"
- "The Lower Blue Mountains"
- "Blue Mountains - The Forest Paradise"
- "Blue Mountains Adventure"
- "Blue Mountains"
- "Blue Moutains / Katoomba / Three Sisters"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Blue Mountains National Park
- Hotels in Blue Mountains National Park
- Transportation in Blue Mountains National Park
- Restaurants in Blue Mountains National Park
- Shopping in Blue Mountains National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Blue Mountains National Park
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Blue Mountains National Park
- 87 Reviews
- 253 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 41 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (92)
Have you been to Blue Mountains National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Blue Mountains National Park
- Posted in Travel Sydney Forum "Re: Return fligths from Sydney to..."
- Wrote a Review More Leura Gardens festival in Blue Mountains National Park Favorites
- Uploaded a Photo to "Leura Gardens Festival"
- Commented on one of balhannah's Blue Mountains National Park travel pages
- updated a Blue Mountains National Park Travelogue "Waterfalls of the Blue Mountains"
Photos in Blue Mountains National ParkSee All Photos (253)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 218 reviews, 513 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 138 reviews, 323 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 151 reviews, 296 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 87 reviews, 254 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 167 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 94 reviews, 153 photos, 3 travelogues