"Art Capital of Australia" Top 5 Page for this destination Broken Hill by iandsmith

Broken Hill Travel Guide: 134 reviews and 350 photos

The Hill

Broken Hill is an Australian icon that most international tourists never see.
It is fair to suggest that it's a long way from anywhere though it is on a main road between Sydney and Adelaide.
Broken Hill, in my opinion, is the art capital of Australia. I've travelled a little bit overseas and seen a few of the great galleries and admired some of the classic works on show.
However, I have to admit that whenever I think of art I can't help but call to mind the stunning colours of the outback artists. They are a world apart from anything you'll see elsewhere.
The profusion of art has snowballed and there are about thirty galleries in a town that would normally house about two. That means there are also thirty styles and about twenty five of them are top class.
Added to that is the history of why the town is there in the first place and its colourful past and it's very easy to while away 3-4 days there.
Personally, I've visited five times and loved every trip.

Getting there is half the fun

We've all heard that one before. It is fair to suggest that in this case you'll certainly remember it, especially if you catch the train.
At times the wildlife (read kangaroos and eagles) can be prolific, at other times, such as my second trip, they were phoning ahead to see if we could make it through the floodwaters.
En route you get to stop in places you'd never bother to go and see, such as illustrated here. Just pronouncing it is a taxing experience.
The only reason this place is here is because they put the railway station here. Insignificant but unforgettable.

The drive

After my first three trips, all by train, I started driving out there. Driving, after Cobar, can be boring for some. There are long straight stretches with little variation in vegetation (except it gets slowly lower) and lots of feral goats.
Apart from the Emmdale Roadhouse and Wilcannia (that has some historical points of interest) it's a long trip.

• Pros:Fantastic art, clear skies, interesting history
  • Cons:Bloody hot in summer!
  • In a nutshell:A true outback experience with art thrown in.
  • Last visit to Broken Hill: Jun 2013
  • Intro Updated Jun 29, 2013

• balhannah's Profile Photo
    Apr 24, 2009 at 1:36 AM

Excellent tips on BH. As you said, you can't beat the outback for colour, love the art work, and those River Red Gums. Every time we go back, I find more to like about the place.

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Oct 19, 2006 at 5:15 AM

Great stuff and very interesting reading - I've got to know a lot. Interesting info on monument to the members of the Broken Hill band who were on the Titanic and valiantly played as the ship went down.

• margaretvn's Profile Photo
    Sep 2, 2006 at 12:36 AM

really great page - would love to go there one day -

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Mar 29, 2006 at 1:41 AM

Vale, Pro Hart - the Hill's favourite son. Great page - we rode the Flying Scotsman too - in Perth and in tandem with GWR's Pendennis Castle - TFS's great rival. Great stuff!! leyle

• antistar's Profile Photo
    Nov 30, 2005 at 11:35 AM

Good stuff. Reminded me of why I should go back to Australia :).

• Pete.Gibson's Profile Photo
    Oct 28, 2005 at 1:03 AM

Your photos are stunning, with some excellent sunrise and sunsets, if you are in Middle england Stratford, warwick,etc give me a email

• Jim_Eliason's Profile Photo
    Jun 29, 2005 at 6:03 PM

fantastic page! your tips really held my interest!

• nepalgoods's Profile Photo
    Mar 24, 2005 at 11:44 PM

Very interesting to read your stories and see your beautiful pics.

• aussiedoug's Profile Photo
    Feb 23, 2005 at 2:22 AM

Will be out here nearly 3 days (1working LARK workshop) from the day after ANZAC Day so your excellent & colourful tips have come in handy mate. Thanks a motza!

• eden_teuling's Profile Photo
    Jan 19, 2005 at 2:52 AM

your colourful prose made Broken Hill MY destination for a while..I enjoyed the vivid colours, flora & fauna, miners, works of art...I love VIVID colours and oh, I felt the hot sun..great page, Ian! time again to go on deleting HTML tags! elisabeth

iandsmith Visits Here Frequently!

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Badges & Stats in Broken Hill

Have you been to Broken Hill?

Latest Activity in Broken Hill