"Art Capital of Australia" Top 5 Page for this destination Broken Hill by iandsmith
Broken Hill Travel Guide: 134 reviews and 350 photos
Broken Hill is an Australian icon that most international tourists never see.
It is fair to suggest that it's a long way from anywhere though it is on a main road between Sydney and Adelaide.
Broken Hill, in my opinion, is the art capital of Australia. I've travelled a little bit overseas and seen a few of the great galleries and admired some of the classic works on show.
However, I have to admit that whenever I think of art I can't help but call to mind the stunning colours of the outback artists. They are a world apart from anything you'll see elsewhere.
The profusion of art has snowballed and there are about thirty galleries in a town that would normally house about two. That means there are also thirty styles and about twenty five of them are top class.
Added to that is the history of why the town is there in the first place and its colourful past and it's very easy to while away 3-4 days there.
Personally, I've visited five times and loved every trip.
We've all heard that one before. It is fair to suggest that in this case you'll certainly remember it, especially if you catch the train.
At times the wildlife (read kangaroos and eagles) can be prolific, at other times, such as my second trip, they were phoning ahead to see if we could make it through the floodwaters.
En route you get to stop in places you'd never bother to go and see, such as illustrated here. Just pronouncing it is a taxing experience.
The only reason this place is here is because they put the railway station here. Insignificant but unforgettable.
After my first three trips, all by train, I started driving out there. Driving, after Cobar, can be boring for some. There are long straight stretches with little variation in vegetation (except it gets slowly lower) and lots of feral goats.
Apart from the Emmdale Roadhouse and Wilcannia (that has some historical points of interest) it's a long trip.
- Pros:Fantastic art, clear skies, interesting history
- Cons:Bloody hot in summer!
- In a nutshell:A true outback experience with art thrown in.
At Menindee Lakes there's a lot of bird life. Unfortunately, for me, my camera has played up the two times I've been out... more travel advice
I had seen them eslewhere but Broken Hill certainly excels in them. I'm talking about the historical signs on the... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Broken Hill Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Art Capital of Australia"
- "BROKEN HILL - SILVER CITY"
- "Broken Hill"
- "BROKEN HILL "THE SILVER CITY"..New South Wales.."
- "Beautiful Broken Hill"
- "Broken Hill area Wildlife"
- "Broken Hill - The Aussie outback"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Broken Hill
- Hotels in Broken Hill
- Transportation in Broken Hill
- Restaurants in Broken Hill
- Shopping in Broken Hill
- Warnings and Dangers in Broken Hill
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Broken Hill
- 31 Reviews
- 50 Photos
- 1 Forum posts
- 32 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (94)
Have you been to Broken Hill?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Broken Hill
Photos in Broken HillSee All Photos (50)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 222 reviews, 537 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 149 reviews, 376 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 47 reviews, 218 photos