"Gateway to the outback" Cobar by iandsmith
Cobar Travel Guide: 26 reviews and 72 photos
About the only reason for Cobar's existence is the mine. Having said that, they've managed to build a liveable place on the road to the extreme outback but, take my word for it, if you're passing through you'll feel like you're there already.
It has some features worthy of stopping for, escpecially the oh-so-excellent tourist centre.
Aside from that you can catch up on your shopping and eating while you're en route, probably to Broken Hill if you're like most other travellers.
There's a very good museum housed in what once was the mine manager's office and grounds. Apart from excellent displays of local history and artefacts it has a sink hole around 45 metres deep.
Sadly, because someone didn't mind their children properly, these days it's fenced off but you can still enjoy the wonderful colours of the clay and the water.
- Pros:Things to see, history, aboriginal paintings
Mount Grenfell historic site is actually a series of three overhangs where aborigines have painted over the... more travel advice
Just a few kilometres out of Cobar, that's using country speak, there's a sign pointing to an emu farm (pic 1). It's an... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Cobar Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Cobar
- 12 Reviews
- 24 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (275)
Have you been to Cobar?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Cobar
Photos in CobarSee All Photos (24)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 226 reviews, 557 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 136 reviews, 485 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 152 reviews, 383 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 254 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 76 reviews, 191 photos