"Comboyne - Waterfall capital of Australia" Comboyne by iandsmith

Comboyne Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 39 photos

"Come with me to the Comboyne"

For years I drove past the sign. Like, about 30 years! Then, one day I turned and went up there and I haven't stopped going back.
I love the place and where I stay has a verandah to die for. Every morning you get verandah fever, no matter what the weather. The symptoms are a totally relaxed euphoric feeling coupled with a distinct laziness when anyone suggests moving. Usually accompanied by a cup of tea or coffee and some biscuits. Warning, it can be infectious!
The vista across the rolling hills all the way to the ocean 30 kilometres away is the best I've ever seen.
On clear nights you will see the stars as you have only dreamed of. The Milky Way becomes the Creamy Way, you feel you can jump off the ground and be a part of them, they seem so close. The clusters like the "Jewel Box" give understanding as to how they were named.
On dirty nights you may see storm fronts all around you and lightning drawing your eyes this way and that as distant flashes backlight a mountain or earth into the Tasman Sea. Up here you feel like you are a part of the weather and, when you get 30 inches of rain in 24 hours, you can believe it.
The point is, whatever the weather here, it's always a spectacle.

Werrikimbe National Park

Comboyne is one of the closest places to Werrikimbe National Park, a genuine wilderness area about an hour north west of the village.

• Pros:Beautiful countryside, lovely rainforest
  • Cons:Limited accommodation, some waterfalls are hard to find.
  • In a nutshell:If you like scenery, don't miss it.
  • Last visit to Comboyne: Sep 2006
  • Intro Updated Sep 15, 2006

• matcrazy1's Profile Photo
    Jan 5, 2007 at 4:19 PM

Thanks a million for sharing beauty of Comboyne with us. Outstanding page full of vivid descriptions, beautiful pictures and invaluable suggestions. A must see (or better to say explore) for me now!

• aussiejen's Profile Photo
    Sep 15, 2006 at 1:18 AM

I see you're adding more tips! Great photos. I love waterfalls :)

• deecat's Profile Photo
    Mar 27, 2005 at 6:08 AM

Ellenborough Falls looks incredible. Boorgana Nature Reserve is amazing. The chopper story was great. The "Udder Cow Cafe" is certainly an unique name! Tirrill Creek looks like another "gem" in your arsenal of wonderful nature spots.

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Mar 4, 2005 at 9:22 AM

A truly outstanding page - definitely our kind of place.

• unravelau's Profile Photo
    Jan 9, 2005 at 10:36 AM

Amazing is one word that can be used to describe your pages Ian. Not only do you take fantastic photos to illustrate visited places, but also you manage to use the most pituresque speech to describe them.

• seamandrew's Profile Photo
    Nov 29, 2004 at 1:59 PM

Boy am I upset I didn't read about Comboyne before my trip to Australia. You can be sure that I will make it part of my itinerary next time I go. This place sounds amazing! Great tips mate!

• kazander's Profile Photo
    Aug 18, 2004 at 7:46 AM

Had to see for myself what Rickett's reminded you of. Gorgeous!

• joernme's Profile Photo
    Aug 10, 2004 at 1:22 AM

Hey Veranda man, I'm happy you got off your fav veranda to show us this wonderfull area. Just love your writing, my kind of virtual discovery tours. Will u tell all those hidden gems you know or do you keep some like Comboyne in your pocket?

• Toyin's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2004 at 3:32 AM

Nice off The Beaten Path, it makes me want to come over.. Regards.

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2004 at 3:28 AM

I found it!! Well there certainly is some fascinating places here in Oz. Looks beautiful Ian!! Lovely pix. Ann :o)

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Badges & Stats in Comboyne

Have you been to Comboyne?

Latest Activity in Comboyne