"Comboyne - Waterfall capital of Australia" Comboyne by iandsmith
Comboyne Travel Guide: 32 reviews and 39 photos
For years I drove past the sign. Like, about 30 years! Then, one day I turned and went up there and I haven't stopped going back.
I love the place and where I stay has a verandah to die for. Every morning you get verandah fever, no matter what the weather. The symptoms are a totally relaxed euphoric feeling coupled with a distinct laziness when anyone suggests moving. Usually accompanied by a cup of tea or coffee and some biscuits. Warning, it can be infectious!
The vista across the rolling hills all the way to the ocean 30 kilometres away is the best I've ever seen.
On clear nights you will see the stars as you have only dreamed of. The Milky Way becomes the Creamy Way, you feel you can jump off the ground and be a part of them, they seem so close. The clusters like the "Jewel Box" give understanding as to how they were named.
On dirty nights you may see storm fronts all around you and lightning drawing your eyes this way and that as distant flashes backlight a mountain or earth into the Tasman Sea. Up here you feel like you are a part of the weather and, when you get 30 inches of rain in 24 hours, you can believe it.
The point is, whatever the weather here, it's always a spectacle.
Comboyne is one of the closest places to Werrikimbe National Park, a genuine wilderness area about an hour north west of the village.
- Pros:Beautiful countryside, lovely rainforest
- Cons:Limited accommodation, some waterfalls are hard to find.
- In a nutshell:If you like scenery, don't miss it.
So glad I didn't have my motorhome driving out of here. It was a tad rugged after the relatively easy trip in from the... more travel advice
"Please enter the single most important activity or site you would take someone, if they had never been to Comboyne... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Comboyne Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Comboyne
- 32 Reviews
- 39 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 16 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (92)
Have you been to Comboyne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Comboyne
Photos in ComboyneSee All Photos (39)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 218 reviews, 513 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 138 reviews, 323 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 151 reviews, 296 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 87 reviews, 254 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 167 photos, 2 travelogues
- London Intro, 94 reviews, 153 photos, 3 travelogues