"Culcairn" Culcairn by iandsmith
Culcairn Travel Guide: 3 reviews and 4 photos
The district around Culcairn was originally settled by Europeans in 1834 having been the traditional home and hunting ground for the Wiradjuri Indigenous people up until that point.
Named after a large property in the Shire of Kiltearn in Scotland, Culcairn is now a busy service centre for the surrounding district and is home to many families who enjoy a relaxed country lifestyle with the convenience of close proximity and easy commute to the larger communities of Albury and Wagga Wagga.
Of course, the fact that it's not on the Hume Highway means that it doesn't get the tourist numbers that those towns do so it survives of its own volition.
Today, Culcairn offers residents and potential investors alike the ready availability of industrial, lifestyle and residential land, a sound water supply and services, together with a community spirit and safe environment for children and families. Conveniently situated in the growth corridor between Albury Wodonga and Wagga Wagga, with easy access to the major Olympic and Hume Highways, and Main Southern Rail Line, Culcairn is primed for expansion.
Industries include steel fabrication, a concrete plant, Country Energy Depot, Timbercrete Brickworks, substantial grain silos and the Wet Blue Hide facility.
The township of Culcairn was established in 1880 and became the hub for the railway system with rail lines through to Wagga Wagga, Albury, Holbrook and also to Corowa. The original Station Master’s residence, built in 1882, is now a museum featuring the regions rich history. The construction of the Sydney to Melbourne railway saw the town grow significantly.
For its size, Culcairn has a large number of substantial heritage buildings including the Culcairn Hotel, Memorial Hall, Court House, Railway Station and Station Master’s Residence.
- Pros:Relaxed, some history, nice parks
The explorers Hume and Hovell passed through the area on their journey to Port Phillip. In their report they noted the... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Culcairn Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Culcairn
- 3 Reviews
- 4 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (268)
Have you been to Culcairn?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Culcairn
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 225 reviews, 552 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 136 reviews, 485 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 152 reviews, 383 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 76 reviews, 191 photos