"The rainforest" Dorrigo by iandsmith
Dorrigo Travel Guide: 29 reviews and 135 photos
Pictured here is Crystal Shower Falls, the most photographed cascade in the Dorrigo World Heritage National Park. The sad thing is, you can't get this picture any more because of a major washout that caused a suspension bridge to be built which blocks this view out.
It is on a walk that takes about a two hour round trip on a well constructed path that is not arduous. It is called the Wonga Walk and leaves and finishes at the National Park Centre, as does the Skywalk that, I have to say, doesn't do a lot for me. As an introduction to Aussie rainforest though, the Wonga Walk rates.
Situated around 700 metres up, Dorrigo is about rainforest, that is why tourists go there, but it also has other nice things to see while you're up there and I can certainly recommend every place I've eaten at in the town, especially the ones attached to art galleries.
The town is picturesque in autumn and spring and is set in rolling hills among lush fields. Its original prosperity is linked to timber cutting but this is an industry in decline in this area. Tourists consistently bring in more money and that is why they have been able to build the Tourist Centre at the rainforest.
There are many places here where you can head off the beaten track if you're in search of something special. One of my favourite places is Rosewood River. Shown here is one of the many small falls and cascades that abound on this stretch of water.
Once you reach Dorrigo and continue on in a westerly direction there are splendid panoramas for about the next 30-40 kms.
This particular shot was taken from a park just before you get into Dorrigo.
- Pros:Lovely scenery, wonderful bushwalks, pretty town
- Cons:Weather can get rotten.
- In a nutshell:If you're into nature, go there.
This is a lovely spot, right beside the main road west, about 20kms or so out of town. A delightful little streamlet... more travel advice
It had been raining; lord knows, for weeks. Flooding rains across the coast of Queensland and N.S.W. Most people see... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Dorrigo Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The rainforest"
- "A Day On The Plateau & Rainforest"
- "Dorrigo and Dorrigo National Park."
- "Bicycling Touring Australia - NSW"
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Dorrigo
- 24 Reviews
- 85 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 14 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (92)
Have you been to Dorrigo?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Dorrigo
Photos in DorrigoSee All Photos (85)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 220 reviews, 527 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 140 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 151 reviews, 296 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 167 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 73 reviews, 183 photos