"The rainforest" Dorrigo by iandsmith

Dorrigo Travel Guide: 34 reviews and 157 photos

World Heritage Centre

Pictured here is Crystal Shower Falls, the most photographed cascade in the Dorrigo World Heritage National Park. The sad thing is, you can't get this picture any more because of a major washout that caused a suspension bridge to be built which blocks this view out.
It is on a walk that takes about a two hour round trip on a well constructed path that is not arduous. It is called the Wonga Walk and leaves and finishes at the National Park Centre, as does the Skywalk that, I have to say, doesn't do a lot for me. As an introduction to Aussie rainforest though, the Wonga Walk rates.
Situated around 700 metres up, Dorrigo is about rainforest, that is why tourists go there, but it also has other nice things to see while you're up there and I can certainly recommend every place I've eaten at in the town, especially the ones attached to art galleries.
The town is picturesque in autumn and spring and is set in rolling hills among lush fields. Its original prosperity is linked to timber cutting but this is an industry in decline in this area. Tourists consistently bring in more money and that is why they have been able to build the Tourist Centre at the rainforest.

Off the beaten track

There are many places here where you can head off the beaten track if you're in search of something special. One of my favourite places is Rosewood River. Shown here is one of the many small falls and cascades that abound on this stretch of water.

Pastoral views

Once you reach Dorrigo and continue on in a westerly direction there are splendid panoramas for about the next 30-40 kms.
This particular shot was taken from a park just before you get into Dorrigo.

• Pros:Lovely scenery, wonderful bushwalks, pretty town
  • Cons:Weather can get rotten.
  • In a nutshell:If you're into nature, go there.
  • Last visit to Dorrigo: Apr 2014
  • Intro Updated Apr 12, 2014

• Nemorino's Profile Photo
    Apr 18, 2008 at 1:46 PM

I was surprised to see a rainforest in Oz, after reading so much about the droughts in recent years.

• TheWanderingCamel's Profile Photo
    Dec 10, 2007 at 4:35 PM

Time I headed for this part of Oz again - a lovely part of the country. leyle

• unravelau's Profile Photo
    Feb 12, 2006 at 8:28 PM

Must be just about time for a cuppa Ian. Wow...I didn't realise that you had been here (to the bed and breakfast place) where the major view features on my pages as a recent discovery-just shows that there is nothing new to be discovered around you Ian.

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Feb 15, 2005 at 3:30 AM

A great little page Ian. I'm with you, it is hard to beat a relaxing walk in the forest with the brooks babbling and the sun shining! Well done!

• Stephen-KarenConn's Profile Photo
    Jul 29, 2004 at 1:42 PM

Another place we've just GOT to see whenever we finally find ourselves down under. Love the waterfalls and the flowers - even the cow.

• Goner's Profile Photo
    Jul 9, 2004 at 9:04 PM

Is that a real bull in the picture? Crystal Shower Falls is certainly worth the walk, a real Wow

• aussirose's Profile Photo
    Jun 27, 2004 at 2:41 AM

Never got as far as Dorigo Ian, but I wish we had. What a gorgeous waterfall!! Ann :o)

• deecat's Profile Photo
    May 11, 2004 at 8:53 PM

Well, Ian, you've done it again..made me smile. Crystal Shower Falls photo is magnificent. Juilee Gardens (yes, you always have a garden; hurrah!)Rosewood Creek walk sounds wonderful. Unique pie shop. Great hotel tips. Love your pages.

• aliante1981's Profile Photo
    Sep 20, 2003 at 5:38 AM

Wow! fantastic waterfalls... I wish there was one close to my hometown!

• CandS's Profile Photo
    Sep 19, 2003 at 11:09 PM

Good to see another waterfall lover... :) I loved Crystal Shower Falls...gorgeous... :)

iandsmith Visits Here Frequently!

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Badges & Stats in Dorrigo

Have you been to Dorrigo?

Latest Activity in Dorrigo