Esperance Things to Do Tips by iandsmith
Esperance Things to Do: 27 reviews and 81 photos
Beautiful, isn't it
Australia is blessed with ocean drives that are the envy of many places throughout the world and Esperance has one right up there. Appropriately titled The Great Ocean Drive it is a 38 kms circular route that follows the coastline and then loops north back into town.
Some of the highlights to see along the way are the Rotary Lookout, Twilight Beach, Observatory Point, the Wind Farm and Pink Lake.
I'll never forget Rotary Lookout, I had a new cheap bike that I tried to ride up there but the gears wouldn't change and, when I finally made it, on the descent the brakes weren't up to the task. It was a real white knuckle affair I can assure you.
Beaches found along the Great Ocean Drive include Second Beach, Blue Haven Beach, Salmon Beach, Fourth Beach, Twilight Beach, Nine Mile Beach and Eleven Mile Beach.
There are numerous places to pull up and soak up the magnificence of the coastal scenery and, one thing I can promise you, you won't be alone.
I hope these pics do it all some justice.
With the nickel boom came a need for a deeper harbour and, when dredging was complete around 2001 it became the largest port in southern Australia.
It can handle 180,000 tonne ships, 300 metres in length with a draught of 19.5 metres.
This would give the impression that it's all about tonnage but the harbour is much more than that. It's been conserved as a recreation body of water as well and, down by the marina the locals have gone to some trouble with the marina and associated parks so that you barely notice there's industry going on across the bay.
That crane with a yacht race in the foreground
There's a regular tour that takes place in the afternoons (check tourist centre for times) and it's run by a local service club.
This particular one goes around the shipping area where normally you wouldn't be allowed.
Much information about Esperance can be gleaned from this short trip, particularly the pride that emanates from its citizens.
They've managed to have bulk mineral exports without the dust problems experienced elsewhere so that they have the best of both worlds.
Another thing you'll come across is the 60 metre high, multi-million dollar crane that dwarfs everything else on the site. Trust me, you'll be amazed at the amout of cable the thing carries around alone.
The tour uses an old bus but unfortunately, due to Occupational Health and Safety issues, you aren't allowed to alight. Still, it's worth a go if you're interested.
iandsmith's Related Pages
Esperance Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Western Australia's Secret South."
- "Experience Esperance"
- "Esperance - Way Downunder"
- "Esperance Day 5"
- "A long time coming"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Esperance
- Hotels in Esperance
- Transportation in Esperance
- Restaurants in Esperance
- Shopping in Esperance
- Warnings and Dangers in Esperance
- See All...
Explore the World
- Schaarsbergen Hotels
- Isla Verde Hotels
- Blenheim Hotels
- Commerce Hotels
- Gettysburg National Military Park
Badges & Stats in Esperance
- 4 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (92)
Have you been to Esperance?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Esperance
Photos in EsperanceSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 220 reviews, 527 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 140 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 151 reviews, 296 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 167 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 73 reviews, 183 photos