"Euroa" Euroa by iandsmith
Euroa Travel Guide: 5 reviews and 17 photos
Euroa is a country town of some 2700 people located adjacent to Seven Creeks 147 km north-east of Melbourne just off the Hume Freeway, between the larger settlements of Seymour and Benalla. It is situated at an elevation of 175 m at the foot of the Strathbogie Ranges with Balmattum Hill adjoining the town boundary. Though the district has long been noted for its fine-wool production, its name bacame more familiar to the rest of Australia by its association with the country's most famous bushranger Ned Kelly.
The area is thought to have been occupied by the Ngurelban Aborigines prior to European settlement and there is an important Aboriginal art site in the Gardens Range, 10 km south-east of town. It is presumably from their language that the town's name derives. 'Yera-o' is said to mean 'joyful'.
The first white men to wander the area were explorers Hume and Hovell in 1824. Overlanders drove their stock through an area to the north of the present townsite in 1837 or 1838 while following the track cut by a later explorer Thomas Mitchell in 1837. Squatters began taking up runs in the district in 1838. One of the first was Seven Creeks, established by Janet Templeton in 1838. The adjacent 'Urowa' station was taken up in 1840.
It was at Seven Creeks that the first fine-wool Saxon merino sheep in Victoria were introduced in 1851 by Eliza Forlonge who had selected the sheep in Saxony.
Australia's best-known figure from early times is bushranger Ned Kelly who has strong associations with the town and... more travel advice
There's a fair bit of history in this town, other than anything associated with bushrangers. There's also some well... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Euroa Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Euroa
- 5 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 0 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (275)
Have you been to Euroa?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Euroa
Photos in EuroaSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 228 reviews, 567 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 136 reviews, 485 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 152 reviews, 383 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 254 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 76 reviews, 191 photos