"The Celtic Connection" Top 5 Page for this destination Glen Innes by iandsmith
Glen Innes Travel Guide: 59 reviews and 193 photos
If you want to get noticed, you have to have a gimmick. Glen Innes realised this and went for the Celts.
In just over a decade they have Australia's Celtic Festival (first weekend in May), standing stones and a piper every Friday on the steps of the town hall playing Celtic laments. Then again, anything played by a bagpipes sounds like you should have your handkerchief out.
One of the town's signs of prosperity is the Club Hotel pictured here dating from the halcyon days of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. This pub and its eye-catching wrought iron verandah date from 1906.
It's now been bought out by a major supermarket chain, one of two who are currently swallowing up hotels just to get the liquor licences so they can sell more alcohol. Fortunately the hotel is heritage listed so the facade you see here will remain. Thank goodness.
Another thing you can do while in Glen Innes is to base yourself here and visit the Gibraltar Range, Barool and Washpool National Parks.
They are fairly extensive yet not overcrowded so, on most days, you'll find yourself either on your own or with few other people around.
There's a lot to see if you like bushwalking as I do, including many streams and waterfalls.
If you take a drive in the country while you're here, you're bound to run across some nice rustic scenery such as you see pictured here. Personally, I would tend to head east towards the rainforests but there's interest in any direction.
- Pros:Friendly busy atmosphere, things to see, good hiking options
- Cons:Cold in winter
- In a nutshell:You could do worse than tarry awhile here
Surprised I haven't put this in before, he wrote about 5 years after the original pages I entered. This is a stream that... more travel advice
Checking out the back streets of country towns in Australia can often be rewarding and, Glen Innes is no different. I... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Glen Innes Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "CELTIC COUNTRY"
- "some great architecture & more !"
- "The Celtic Connection"
- "Hello Again Glen Innes"
- "GLEN INNES...NEW ENGLAND N.S.W."
- "Beautiful Glen Innes"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Glen Innes
- Hotels in Glen Innes
- Transportation in Glen Innes
- Restaurants in Glen Innes
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Glen Innes
- 22 Reviews
- 57 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 10 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (92)
Have you been to Glen Innes?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Glen Innes
Photos in Glen InnesSee All Photos (57)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 220 reviews, 527 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 140 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 151 reviews, 296 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 167 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 73 reviews, 183 photos