"Not only tidy, but nice as well" Gloucester by iandsmith
Gloucester Travel Guide: 25 reviews and 81 photos
Love this spot. I've been coming through here for years. Don't spend enough time here if the truth's known.
Gloucester is now on a scenic route. That usually means that grey nomads and old farts like myself take the time out to visit. Fortunately for Gloucester, it does attract others. Four wheel drivers, nature lovers and rural retreat people can be found here as well.
It's situated at the base of and on the eastern side of Barrington Tops, a legendary plateau that rises to just over 5,000 feet. This means that water is usually fairly reliable. Even during drought times the Gloucester area may suffer but never as badly as towns further inland.
Lush is a word often conjured up when Gloucester is discussed. Rolling hills and verdant fields form a glorious backdrop to this town and, the further north west you head, the better it gets.
The town also has entered several times in a contest called "Tidy Towns" which encourages rural communites and cities to spruce up their backyard so to speak. That Gloucester won it once comes as no surprise, it's that sort of place. In point of fact, against all comers across Australia, it won the inaugural award in 1981.
Since then, they have categorized the award and Gloucester won another section in 2006. Personally, I think they should be justly proud.
There are three licensed clubs where entertainment is often scheduled and almost every palate is catered for in our extensive choice of eating houses and dining outlets.
Gloucester hosts a variety of events among which are the Shakespeare on Avon Festival, the Blackmore’s Mountain Man Tri Challenge that involves bike/canoe/climbing the Bucketts, The Gloucester Ceilidh, Rodeos and Country Music camps. Community markets are held on the Saturday of each long weekend.
This is the river beside one of the places you can camp for free at, it's called Gloryvale. There are others at Bretti Reserve and Copeland.
This is typical of the scenery you can expect when you go walking in the forests around Gloucester. It's hard not to like!
- Pros:Gorgeous scenery, access to Barrington plateau, wonderful park
- In a nutshell:Much more scenic going via the Bucketts Way than the Pacific Highway
I was on my way to Taree along the Bucketts Way. It was early morning and mist shrouded the valleys. This was classic... more travel advice
This was my first visit back to Copeland since it had been officially opened (see general tips) so I was interested to... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Gloucester Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Not only tidy, but nice as well"
- "GLOUCESTER & BARRINGTON TOPS"
- "Barrington Tops"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Gloucester
- 18 Reviews
- 72 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 5 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (94)
Have you been to Gloucester?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Gloucester
Photos in GloucesterSee All Photos (72)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 222 reviews, 537 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 149 reviews, 376 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 47 reviews, 218 photos