"And, on your left, Grafton" Top 5 Page for this destination Grafton by iandsmith
Grafton Travel Guide: 96 reviews and 335 photos
In the 21st century this bustling town has shown its ability to survive being bypassed. Once upon a time there were only ferries across Australia's fastest flowing river, the Clarence, and these were stationed at several points, mostly downstream from Grafton where you needed to cross more than one to get to the other side of the delta.
That changed in 1932 with the building of the bridge that finally made a link between the first settlement, South Grafton, and the town proper.
A legacy of wide streets, some striking Victorian buildings, a sense of permanence and a long-standing concern with civic beauty have seen this town survive where others have wilted. In fact, the first ornamental trees were planted as early as 1874 and the city's most famous claim to fame is nearing its centenary, the much-publicized jacarandas having first been planted in 1907-08. The festival surrounding them commences on the last Saturday in October each year.
Although Grafton is well inland you can access the north coast beaches in just over half an hour either heading towards Coffs Harbour or Yamba. Either way will put you beside some of the north coast's finest.
This particular one is Pebbly Beach, part of Yaraygir National Park.
- Pros:Riverside location, some nice buildings and parks, Jacaranda Festival and horse racing
- Cons:Can get hot in summer, in places has a run-down feel about it
- In a nutshell:Worthy of a look
It's extraordinary really. Just make a pond, put some water lillies in it, and tourists will be drawn like a... more travel advice
Roches Family Hotel is but one of a number of fine old hotels in Grafton. Dating from 1869 its new facade is reminiscent... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Grafton Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "HOME OF THE STUNNING JACARANDA FESTIVAL"
- "It's only an hour away from home"
- "And, on your left, Grafton"
- "Grafton ...the Jacaranda city"
- "Bicycle Touring Australia - Grafton"
- "JACARANDAS AROUND GRAFTON"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Grafton
- Hotels in Grafton
- Transportation in Grafton
- Nightlife in Grafton
- Restaurants in Grafton
- Shopping in Grafton
- Warnings and Dangers in Grafton
- See All...
Explore the World
Badges & Stats in Grafton
- 25 Reviews
- 62 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (92)
Have you been to Grafton?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Grafton
Photos in GraftonSee All Photos (62)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 220 reviews, 527 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 141 reviews, 334 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 151 reviews, 296 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 167 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 73 reviews, 183 photos