"Not quite a destination" Inverell by iandsmith
Inverell Travel Guide: 23 reviews and 45 photos
Pictured is the Bicentennial Memorial, located in Sinclair Park.
To quote the local tourist blurb it "exemplifies the community spirit of the individuals and organizations who freely gave their time, technical skills, labour and much of the material to create a permanent memorial to the hisotical genesis and the progressive development of Inverell district prior to 1988. Special lighting allows the memorial to be viewed at night. It features three courtyards: No. 1 - The tertiary period and Aboriginal tribal culture; No. 2 - 1788 - 1888; No. 3 - 1888 - 1988 and beyond."
To me it signifies a strong community spirit, a town that has certainly had more ups and downs in the last 30 years than most, mainly to do with the local abbattoir closing and reopening a few times.
Its population of around 10,000 souls has some attractions, the main one being gemstones, sapphires in particular.
Having said that, there is a very good Pioneer Village, a New England Woodturning showroom at nearby Gilgai as is a winery and Ranch Park (for four wheel drives and canoeists).
Copeton Dam, in addition to being the local water supply, is also popular with recreational fishermen and water sports people.
- Pros:Busy country town, some nice architecture, some attractions, gemstones.
- Cons:Cold in winter, hot in summer
- In a nutshell:A couple of days would probably cover it.
Cattle are one form of animal life that has sustained rural properties in the area for as long as white man has been... more travel advice
As I have explained elsewhere about Australia, if you're looking for the best buildings in a town, they tend to be... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Inverell Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- ""MEETING PLACE OF THE SWAN""
- "Not quite a destination"
- "INVERELL...(meeting place of the swan)"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Inverell
- Hotels in Inverell
- Restaurants in Inverell
- Warnings and Dangers in Inverell
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Inverell
- 14 Reviews
- 18 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (274)
Have you been to Inverell?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Inverell
Photos in InverellSee All Photos (18)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 226 reviews, 557 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 136 reviews, 485 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 152 reviews, 383 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 76 reviews, 191 photos