"Classic "gateway"" Top 5 Page for this destination Jindabyne by iandsmith
Jindabyne Travel Guide: 19 reviews and 17 photos
I often wonder just what people do in Jindabyne when it's not ski season or high summer bush walking. It does rely heavily on tourism though it originally flourished during the time of the Snowy Mountains Scheme, a massive engineering project to divert water away from the Snowy River and into to Murray system just after WWII.
Today tourism drives the place and there's heaps of accommodation here and all the rest that goes with it. It wasn't always so as this is a new town and the old one was drowned under the hydro-electric scheme and it wasn't a 100% popular move.
The poet Douglas Stewart was moved to write 'Farewell to Jindabyne' :
Let us lament for Jindabyne, it is going to be drowned,
Let us shed tears, as many as the occasion warrants;
The Snowy, the Thredbo and the Eucumbene engulf it,
Combining their copious torrents.
- Pros:Lots of accommodation and restaurants. Handy to skiing and fishing
- Cons:Unless you're into the above activities it's only an average town
- In a nutshell:Most popular town for Australian skiers with access to Perisher and Thredbo
Even when you are taking it easy at around 3kph you can come unstuck. A bizarre combination of my ski slipping while I... more travel advice
On the foreshore of Lake Jindabyne (and easily seen from the road) is a huge statue of Count Paul Strzelecki who... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Jindabyne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Classic "gateway""
- "Jindabyne - Gateway to Australia's Skiing"
- "Jindabyne, gateway to the Snowy Mountains"
- "Jindabyne, on the edge of Kosciuszko National Park"
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Jindabyne
- 6 Reviews
- 5 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (94)
Have you been to Jindabyne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Jindabyne
Photos in JindabyneSee All Photos (5)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 222 reviews, 537 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 149 reviews, 376 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 171 photos, 2 travelogues
- France Intro, 47 reviews, 218 photos