"Katherine and the Gorge" Top 5 Page for this destination Katherine by iandsmith

Katherine Travel Guide: 72 reviews and 324 photos

The far side

By the time I reached Katherine on my way around Australia it is fair to suggest that I wasn't in the best of moods to judge the town. This was further exacerbated by the fact that some low life stole my generator while I was parked beside one of the main sports grounds.
Frankly, I was fairly jittery by the time I headed out of town but I hope I can still give a fair assessment of what is available in the town.
For me the highlight was Edith Falls, part of the Katherine Gorge complex but a long way from where the main tourist area is.
If you want information on the multi-day Jatbula Trail, then may I kindly suggest fellow VTer 1+1's excellent travelogue on that expedition.

• Pros:Some good scenery outside of town, some attractions in the town
  • Cons:Seasonal town, can get very hot in summer
  • In a nutshell:Worth putting into your itinerary
  • Last visit to Katherine: Jul 2008
  • Intro Updated Nov 17, 2008

• KimberlyAnn's Profile Photo
    May 1, 2011 at 9:36 AM

Nice tips, I especially liked the aboriginal art and the middle waterfall. Your 2ond photo of the Cycad Gardens was enough to entice me to that location.

• Herwig1961's Profile Photo
    Mar 13, 2009 at 1:51 AM

I have been one of the tourists once:-)Enjoyed Katherine and your beautiful Australia a lot!Greetings

• Ekaterinburg's Profile Photo
    Dec 12, 2008 at 6:09 PM

Sorry too hear that Katherine wasn't kinder to you . It looks like a pretty beautiful place though, especially that gorge :))

• nickandchris's Profile Photo
    Nov 28, 2008 at 12:55 AM

This is great.Shame about the tourists!!!!

• Bwana_Brown's Profile Photo
    Nov 17, 2008 at 6:13 PM

This time of year, I could easily trade in the lakes of northern Saskatchewan for a few tropical pools of water! Beautiful looking spot!

• craic's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2008 at 3:27 AM

I'd love to see the art. You did seem on the cranky side of things while you were in Katherine. A lightfingered low life can do that to you.

• mvtouring's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2008 at 4:47 AM

I just love the way the Aussies name places. ;-)

• hunterV's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2008 at 4:36 AM

G'day, mate! Thanx for sharing, Ian! ~ Take care ~

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Badges & Stats in Katherine

Have you been to Katherine?

Latest Activity in Katherine