"Katoomba - key to the Blue Mountains" Top 5 Page for this destination Katoomba by iandsmith
Katoomba Travel Guide: 125 reviews and 332 photos
Katoomba is an aboriginal name meaning "falling Water". For me it means walking, for the majority it means looking..
The area attracts visitors by the busload; you only have to go to Echo Point lookout and you can watch the daily passing parade.
The Scenic Railway, the Skyway observation cable car and the new cable car called Scenicender that takes you to the valley floor and boardwalk are for those who wish to join the throng. I have to admit to having done it myself on occasions.
Beside the Great Western Highway there is an explorers tree "blazed " by Blaxland, Wentworth and Lawson; the original explorers who found their way over the mountain to the fertile land beyond by following ridge lines and not watercourses.
The scenery from Echo point and the Three Sisters is breathtaking into the Jamieson Valley, but places like Kanangra Walls and Newnes are equally as spectacular but rarely visited.
The Three Sisters in aboriginal mythology are Mennhi,Wimlah and Gunnedoo.
Bear in mind that this part represents but a tiny part of the overall Blue Moutains. Allow time and you'll be amazed.
The single most photographed thing in the Blue Mountains is the Three Sisters and the shot is taken from Echo Point.
Just to let you know that there is another side to them, this is what it looks like. Taken from the excellent (in terms of views, not quality of track) Prince Henry Cliff Walk, this hopefully gives you some encouragement to go and see some of the other stuff around the Blue Mountains.
- Pros:Spectacular scenery, great bushwalking, great cafes and art
- Cons:When cold winds blow, make sure you rug up
- In a nutshell:Love the town but love the Blue Mountains more
At the western end of Mount Victoria, is a turnoff on the left into Grand View Rd. Near its end you'll come to Beaufort... more travel advice
If you want to get the best experience with cliffs up close and personal (other than abseiling) then this is the spot.... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Katoomba Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "KATOOMBA.. NEW SOUTH WALES.."
- "A STAY IN THE BLUE MOUNTAINS"
- "Katoomba - key to the Blue Mountains"
- "Heart of the Blue Mountains"
- "The Blue Mountains & Katoomba"
- "Katoomba: The Capital of the Blue Mountains"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Katoomba
- Hotels in Katoomba
- Transportation in Katoomba
- Nightlife in Katoomba
- Restaurants in Katoomba
- Shopping in Katoomba
- Warnings and Dangers in Katoomba
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Katoomba
- 27 Reviews
- 95 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (266)
Have you been to Katoomba?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Katoomba
- Posted in Travel Hobart Forum "Re: Best time of year to visit..."
- Uploaded a Photo to "Sunset Rock - Mount Victoria"
- Wrote a Review Sunset Rock - Mount Victoria in Katoomba Off The Beaten Path
- Commented on one of DennyP's Katoomba travel pages
- updated a Katoomba Travel Page "Katoomba - key to the Blue Mountains"
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 225 reviews, 552 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 447 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 150 reviews, 380 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 76 reviews, 191 photos