"Kiama - a rugged coast" Top 5 Page for this destination Kiama by iandsmith
Kiama Travel Guide: 52 reviews and 129 photos
Yes, just like the pope is to the vatican so Kiama is forever linked to the blowhole. A lot of people trek here to view the famed spectacle. A lot of people never see it blowing. No, you need the right surf conditions, i.e. ideally a southerly swell of some magnitude coupled with a high tide and, hey presto, skyrocketing plumes of salt spray rent the landscape right before your eyes.
Speaking of blowholes, I actually hoped to see the "Big Poo". This was a sculptured piece erected, or perhaps laid would be a more apt term, in nearby Gerringong I think, that aroused national controversy. Me, I think some people need to get a sense of humour even if it was over a water treatment plant. For a while it outranked the blowhole in importance in Kiama, not an easy thing to do.
Sadly, it's not to be seen anymore and the right wing squares can get on with their life again.
Kiama itself is a very popular destination and rightly so. The rugged coastline and splendid backdrop of Kangaroo Valley make it very easy on the eye.
- Pros:Great coastline, pretty setting, good shopping, nice walks
- In a nutshell:Great spot to visit, put it on your list
It's a bit hard to miss the lighthouse; (a) because it stands out and (b) because it's right next to the blowhole. As... more travel advice
Kiama's centre is bustling and has a vibrant feel about it. I like the way the shops surround the spacious park, it... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Kiama Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Kiama - a rugged coast"
- "Kiama: a pretty little town with beautiful views"
- "Kiama... beach and blow hole... heavenly"
- "Kiama- A GREAT Getaway.!"
- "Kiama's Awesome BlowHoles, plus more"
- "Kiama, south of Sydney"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kiama
- Hotels in Kiama
- Restaurants in Kiama
- Shopping in Kiama
- Warnings and Dangers in Kiama
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kiama
- 8 Reviews
- 16 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 3 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (92)
Have you been to Kiama?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kiama
Photos in KiamaSee All Photos (16)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 220 reviews, 527 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 140 reviews, 333 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 151 reviews, 296 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 167 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 73 reviews, 183 photos
FriendsSee All Friends (118)
Travel InterestsSee All Travel Interests (5)
Latest Kiama hotel reviews
- Platinum at Kiama Blue
- 14 Reviews & Opinions
Latest: May 10, 2013