"The Kosciuszko experience" Top 5 Page for this destination Kosciuszko National Park by iandsmith
Kosciuszko National Park Travel Guide: 56 reviews and 188 photos
It's Australia's highest mountain. Bit of a misnomer really, it's more like a big hill among other big hills; it just happens to be higher than any other.
At just 2228 metres (7310 ft) it really wouldn't rate on any other continent but it does here.
It was named after a Polish patriot by one of Australia's most amazing explorers called Strzelecki whose past before he arrived was almost as colourful as what he achieved in Australia.
Though he titled himself "count" it is fairly unlikely that he ever was one. He visited many countries in Europe, Africa and the Americas before he eventually arrived in Australia in 1839.
He travelled over 11,000 kilometres through what we now know as New South Wales, Victoria and Tasmania. Eventually he left and went to London via China, the East Indies and Egypt.
He published his "Physical Description of New South Wales and Van Diemen's Land" which was awarded the Gold Medal of the Royal Geographical Society in May 1846.
It's a great national park to go walking in. A variety of experiences area available so, take my advice and don't limit yourself to just the one walk. This particular shot is of Rainbow Lake, a place I'd never heard of though it's only a kilometre off a road I'd travelled many times.
Of course, the majority of visitors come to Kosciuszko National Park to experience snow sport and I have been numbered among them over the years.
Here's a little montage of my sons etc, having a good time at Perisher.
- Pros:Lots for those who love nature
- Cons:Weather can be extreme, check first
- In a nutshell:Great place for explorers and families
We reached the Snowy River crossing and our first problem – Lorraine froze at the thought of this rock hopping exercise... more travel advice
If you only have time to do one walk in Kosciuszko NP, then this is the one I'd recommend. Here is the story of how... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Kosciuszko National Park Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "The Kosciuszko experience"
- "camping in Mt Kosciuszko National park"
- "Mount Kosciuszko - Highest point in Australia"
- "Kosciuszko National Park"
- "THE LARGEST & COLDEST NATIONAL PARK IN AUSTRALIA!"
- "Mount Kosciuszko National Park.4"
- "KOSCIUSZKO NATIONAL PARK N.S.W."
- See All...
- Things to Do in Kosciuszko National Park
- Hotels in Kosciuszko National Park
- Transportation in Kosciuszko National Park
- Warnings and Dangers in Kosciuszko National Park
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Kosciuszko National Park
- 24 Reviews
- 97 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 4 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (275)
Have you been to Kosciuszko National Park?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Kosciuszko National Park
- Posted in Travel Fraser Island Forum "Re: Roads Frasr island"
- updated a Kosciuszko National Park Travel Page "The Kosciuszko experience"
- Uploaded a Photo to "Blue Lake - the return"
- Wrote a Review Blue Lake continued in Kosciuszko National Park Favorites
- Commented on one of Intrepidduck's Kosciuszko National Park travel pages
Photos in Kosciuszko National ParkSee All Photos (97)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 228 reviews, 567 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 136 reviews, 485 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 152 reviews, 383 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 254 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 76 reviews, 191 photos