"Lockhart, and proud of it" Lockhart by iandsmith
Lockhart Travel Guide: 7 reviews and 17 photos
The Lockhart area takes in the townships of The Rock, Yerong Creek, Pleasant Hills, Milbrulong and Tootool. Here is a rough outline of what you might encounter in the area.
The Rock (how I love that name) is situated 25km south of Wagga Wagga. The Rock's main street is a park-like thoroughfare. The town is dominated by an unusual mountain of rock that rises from the plain 3km to the southwest.
The township of Yerong Creek is Lockhart Shire Council's oldest village. Located on the Olympic Highway, it was established in the late 1870's when fettlers arrived to assist in the construction of the railway line.
Pleasant Hills is an aptly named village is located 37km south of Lockhart. The town boasts many places of historical interest, including the Lutheran Cemetery. Now, just why that may be so is a mystery to me but it's a bit of a worry when the dead centre of town is listed as a main attraction.
This historical town of Lockhart is known as the verandah town because of the beautifully restored facades and verandahs in the main street. These have been classified by the National Trust as a fine example of turn of the century architecture. In my town of Newcastle, the clever town planners had them all taken down.
In the 1860's the area around Lockhart was a favourite haunt of bushrangers.
Mad Dog Morgan used the caves on Galore Hill and Blue Cap' Robert Cotteril was active in the region
- Pros:Dare I say verandahs
- Cons:It's not near any of the big cities
- In a nutshell:Worthy of a browse
This isolated hill rises 200m above surrounding countryside and is a nature reserve covering some 500 hectares. A road... more travel advice
It seems that whatever town you may be visiting, there's always something to catch the eye and, with this in mind, I... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Lockhart Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Lockhart
- 7 Reviews
- 17 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 2 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (274)
Have you been to Lockhart?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lockhart
Photos in LockhartSee All Photos (17)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 226 reviews, 557 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 136 reviews, 485 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 152 reviews, 383 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 76 reviews, 191 photos