"You mean Port Macquarie?" Lake Macquarie by iandsmith
Lake Macquarie Travel Guide: 21 reviews and 72 photos
Lake Macquarie is a city in its own right but most Australians have never heard of it. For most people it's a part of Newcastle, a much better known city and, geographically, that's what it is.
However, people living here these days like to differentiate.
It's actually Australia's largest salt water lake; that is, if you ignore places like Lake Eyre etc. which can get salty and are much larger in surface area except that there's hardly ever any water in them.
Fed by the Pacific Ocean through Swansea Channel, Lake Macquarie is a destination igored by most tourists; this fact reflected by the dearth of accommodation around its shores.
For a time I used to be Hunter Valley Tourist Officer and part of what I was promoting was Lake Macquarie. Sadly, everyone thought I meant Port Macquarie, a much better promoted destination but, no, I meant Lake Macquarie and it has a lot more to offer than Port Macquarie.
Yet this beautiful lake has so much to offer, especially if you're into water sports.
It's also a great place to watch the weather, as hopefully this shot will attest to.
These days I live overlooking the lake and have taken a few pictures now and then......actually, I'm taking them all the time.
There's always waterborne activities but I really enjoy having breakfast and watching the light change on the water.
This particular shot was taken when a fog was lifting.
- Pros:Lovely body of water, very scenic, not many tourists
- Cons:Not a lot of accommodation
- In a nutshell:Definitely put it on your itinerary
I always live in hope that one day an Aussie pub will spruce up and serve some food that sets them apart. I'm sure one... more travel advice
Eventually, I met Craig. As I waited for some birds to come a couple of dogs came happily running along the path,... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Lake Macquarie Travel Guide
Badges & Stats in Lake Macquarie
- 21 Reviews
- 63 Photos
- 0 Forum posts
- 1 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (92)
Have you been to Lake Macquarie?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Lake Macquarie
Photos in Lake MacquarieSee All Photos (63)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 220 reviews, 527 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 128 reviews, 448 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 141 reviews, 334 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 151 reviews, 296 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 253 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 167 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 73 reviews, 183 photos