"Melbourne is a Dive" Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne by iandsmith

Melbourne Travel Guide: 3,377 reviews and 7,601 photos

A changing face

Situated astride the famous/infamous (depending on your point of view) Yarra River, Melbourne is a town founded on money. Gold was its incentive and, along with the famous goldfield towns of Bendigo and Ballarat, it benefited from the transportation and trade of gold through Port Phillip Bay.
Sure, there were many other factors, such as agriculture in particular, that helped, but the real initial impetus was the yellow metal. What that caused to leave behind was a legacy of fine buildings and parks, the latter very English in nature. Today, its over 3 million inhabitants enjoy one of the world's great lifestyles and the Yarra, in view here, is still the centrepiece.

The Pit

Of course, when I said "a dive", I actually meant Surrey Dive. Rosemarie knew all about it and took me there. You can find out more about why it's unique in all of Australia. Might even learn about things you never even suspected you'd find in Melbourne, which is the whole idea of many of my tips, i.e., to get you thinking outside the square.

On yer bike

I volunteered for the World Cycling Championships that were held in Geelong in 2010. Before, during and after I got to see a fair bit of Geelong and spent some more time in the Dandenongs.
In fact, I feel obliged to add that the Dandenongs are my favourite place in all Melbourne.

• Pros:Relatively easy to get around, generally friendly, nice gardens
  • Cons:Variable weather, flies in summer
  • In a nutshell:A vibrant, multi-cultural city well worth a week.
  • Last visit to Melbourne: Dec 2011
  • Intro Updated Jan 4, 2012

• Orchid's Profile Photo
    Apr 5, 2013 at 11:16 PM

Hi Ian, Great pages. I have not been to the Surrey Dive in years. I remember it as a deep quarry with steep sides and some water way below you, not the landscaped your pictures show

• craic's Profile Photo
    Nov 13, 2008 at 3:30 AM

A lot of good stuff you talk about is close to where we live now. I better get down to the tourist info office in Upper Ferntree Gully and get some brochures

• leffe3's Profile Photo
    May 31, 2007 at 12:58 AM

Ian - I'm afraid the bushfires saw off much of the Walhalla train lines. V.sad

• robertgaz's Profile Photo
    Nov 14, 2006 at 9:35 PM

Should I ever go to the casino I'll be sure to bring you along for good luck :~) oh btw... Rainbow's repaired!

• deecat's Profile Photo
    May 30, 2005 at 7:21 AM

Are people nuts? Your new Things to do are marvelous with wonderful details, historic information, and unusual tidbits. I say, very star worthy!

• unravelau's Profile Photo
    May 22, 2005 at 4:32 PM

The poet's meter and the measured gait..........you can here the horse's hooves......yep a fan here. Great page Ian.

• jeffmartinartist's Profile Photo
    May 18, 2005 at 2:54 AM

i'm with you on Fed Sq

iandsmith Visits Here Frequently!

iandsmith

“The shortest distance between two people is laughter (note sign in picture)”

Badges & Stats in Melbourne

Have you been to Melbourne?

Latest Activity in Melbourne