"Melbourne is a Dive" Top 5 Page for this destination Melbourne by iandsmith
Melbourne Travel Guide: 3,524 reviews and 8,058 photos
Situated astride the famous/infamous (depending on your point of view) Yarra River, Melbourne is a town founded on money. Gold was its incentive and, along with the famous goldfield towns of Bendigo and Ballarat, it benefited from the transportation and trade of gold through Port Phillip Bay.
Sure, there were many other factors, such as agriculture in particular, that helped, but the real initial impetus was the yellow metal. What that caused to leave behind was a legacy of fine buildings and parks, the latter very English in nature. Today, its over 3 million inhabitants enjoy one of the world's great lifestyles and the Yarra, in view here, is still the centrepiece.
Of course, when I said "a dive", I actually meant Surrey Dive. Rosemarie knew all about it and took me there. You can find out more about why it's unique in all of Australia. Might even learn about things you never even suspected you'd find in Melbourne, which is the whole idea of many of my tips, i.e., to get you thinking outside the square.
I volunteered for the World Cycling Championships that were held in Geelong in 2010. Before, during and after I got to see a fair bit of Geelong and spent some more time in the Dandenongs.
In fact, I feel obliged to add that the Dandenongs are my favourite place in all Melbourne.
- Pros:Relatively easy to get around, generally friendly, nice gardens
- Cons:Variable weather, flies in summer
- In a nutshell:A vibrant, multi-cultural city well worth a week.
The Avenue of Honour is a part of the Maribyrnong River Trail and represents an era when values and beliefs were... more travel advice
The Germans used to have the formula for aspirin but it was "misplaced". Alfred rediscovered it and made a fortune. A... more travel advice
iandsmith's Related Pages
Melbourne Travel Guide
Member Travel Pages
- "Wherever I Lay My Hat - That's My Home"
- "Melbourne - Our Home for 2005 and 2006"
- "Melbourne is a Dive"
- "IMPREXXION: MELBOURNE"
- "Melbourne - The Place to Be"
- "Sweetberry's "Melbourne Page""
- "Melbourne - My Second Home !"
- See All...
- Things to Do in Melbourne
- Hotels in Melbourne
- Transportation in Melbourne
- Nightlife in Melbourne
- Restaurants in Melbourne
- Shopping in Melbourne
- Warnings and Dangers in Melbourne
- See All...
Badges & Stats in Melbourne
- 69 Reviews
- 130 Photos
- 21 Forum posts
- 8 Comments
- See All Stats
- See All Badges (275)
Have you been to Melbourne?Share Your Travels
Latest Activity in Melbourne
Photos in MelbourneSee All Photos (130)
Top 10 Pages
- Top 5 Page for this destination Australia Intro, 228 reviews, 567 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination State of Tasmania Intro, 136 reviews, 485 photos, 4 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Sydney Intro, 152 reviews, 383 photos
- Top 5 Page for this destination Newcastle Intro, 152 reviews, 301 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Italy Intro, 165 reviews, 254 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Blue Mountains National Park Intro, 88 reviews, 259 photos, 4 travelogues
- State of Western Australia Intro, 75 reviews, 230 photos, 5 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Brugge Intro, 72 reviews, 209 photos
- New England Range Intro, 97 reviews, 172 photos, 2 travelogues
- Top 5 Page for this destination Coffs Harbour Intro, 76 reviews, 191 photos